19.379, All: Obituary: Roger Andersen

Fri Feb 1 19:30:35 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-379. Fri Feb 01 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.379, All: Obituary: Roger Andersen

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 28-Jan-2008
From: Srey Ngov < ngov at humnet.ucla.edu >
Subject: Obituary: Roger Andersen

Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 14:29:27
From: Srey Ngov [ngov at humnet.ucla.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-379.html&submissionid=167629&topicid=1&msgnumber=1

It is my sad duty to inform the linguistic community of the passing away on
January 22 of Professor Roger Andersen, Professor of Applied Linguistics at
UCLA for 30 years. Professor Andersen's research has contributed greatly to
the field; his significant contributions to Second Language Acquisition and
Interlanguage analysis are still considered seminal in the field. Professor
Andersen was a recipient of numerous major research grants involving
multi-university projects, and was engaged in data-intensive long-term
research projects on indigenous languages of Latin America; Professor
Andersen is survived by his wife Sonia and two daughters, Jennifer and
Christine. The Applied Linguistics and TESL Department at UCLA is planning
to hold a memorial service in Professor Andersen's honor. An announcement
will be sent out when the time and place have been decided.

Olga T. Yokoyama
Professor and Chair
Department of Applied Linguistics and TESL
University of California, Los Angeles
Tel. (310) 825-4631
Fax (310) 206-4118
http://www.appling.ucla.edu