19.452, Confs: General Linguistics/USA

Fri Feb 8 16:03:21 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-452. Fri Feb 08 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.452, Confs: General Linguistics/USA

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Stephanie Morse <morse at linguistlist.org>

Date: 04-Feb-2008
From: Melissa Meyer < MMeyer at eastsideinstitute.org >
Subject: Performing the World '08

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 11:01:56
From: Melissa Meyer [MMeyer at eastsideinstitute.org]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-452.html&submissionid=168393&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

Performing the World '08
Short Title: PTW '08

Date: 02-Oct-2008 - 05-Oct-2008
Location: New York, NY, USA
Contact: Lois Holzman
Contact Email: ptw at eastsideinstitute.org
Meeting URL: http://performingtheworld.org

Performing the World '08 invites proposals from all who are involved in
performance work that is related to cultural, economic or psychological
development, community-building, social justice, citizenry, individual and
social transformation, social entrepreneurship, etc. We are looking for a
variety of presentation types, including workshops, conversations,
demonstrations, discussions and panels. We encourage a playfulness and
experimentation for all presentations, especially with regard to theory and data.

One of the pillars of our practice is Vygotsky's learning, his understanding of
language as something not having an expressional nature (language as expression
of already developed thoughts) but being something that completes our thinking,
giving a final form to our thoughts. Language is social, performatory, and is
created in a social environment.  Deriving from that, gathered activity,
performance, is a field/zone in which meaning is being
continuously constructed and reconstructed in that play of all performers
involved in it.

This year's theme, 'Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow,' encourages participants to
attend to history and process-their own and that of the performance movement. We
are particularly interested in examinations/explorations of the shift from a
cognitive to a performative approach to understanding, interacting with and
(re)creating the world as embodied in the work of the participants and/or those
they with whom they work/play/ study.

Performing the World '08
Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow

Announcement

The conveners of Performing the World, the conference/festival of the growing
international performance movement, are excited to announce that the fifth
Performing the World will be held in New York City from October 2-5, 2008. The
event will showcase innovative practice and scholarship and provide a rich
context for learning and performing together.
A New Location, A New Kind of Conference

Performing the World '08 (PTW '08) builds on the momentum of 2007's PTW 4, which
brought together 300 practitioners, scholars and community
activists-educators, youth workers, researchers, psychologists and therapists,
health and helping professionals, business people, artists and activists from
27 countries. PTW '08 is bringing the international performance movement to
the streets of New York-and introducing the performance movement to the
communities of New York City.

For the first time, the All Stars Project, an organization recognized for its
highly successful performance-based outside-of-school developmental programs for
young people and its Castillo Theatre, joins the East Side Institute as a
co-sponsor of the conference. PTW '08 will be based out of the All Stars'
performance and development center on 42nd Street near Times Square, and will be
hosted by young people from around the city. Workshops and performances will
take place there and at theatres, schools and other venues throughout Manhattan
and other boroughs. New Yorkers from virtually every neighborhood will open up
their homes to out-of-towners, not only to save on hotel costs, but also to
incorporate the diversity of family and neighborhood into the experience of the
weekend and to build person-to-person ties between ordinary New Yorkers and
performance activists and scholars from around the world.

A sampling of conversational themes, panels, workshops and performances:

Performance as a Community Building Methodology
Postmodern Creativity and Performance
Knowing, Not Knowing and Performing
Performance and Politics
Performance in Daily Life
The Therapeutics of Performance
The Creativity of the Group, Ensemble and Community
Theatre and Community
The Creativity of Improvisation
Performing, Improvising and Learning
The Power of Play
Conflict Resolution and Performance

Registration Fee:

Before August 1: $195 (US)
After August 1: $225 (US)

Instructions and forms for submitting proposals, due April 1, 2008, can be
viewed and downloaded at www.performingtheworld.org. Proposals should be
e-mailed to Lois Holzman at ptw at eastsideinstitute.org. The subject headline
should be PTW Proposal. If you can't e-mail, then mail or fax to:

Lois Holzman, Director
East Side Institute for Group and Short Term Psychotherapy 920 Broadway, 14th
Floor New York, New York 10010 U.S.A.
Fax: 212-941-0511
Tel: 212-941-8906

and the East Side Institute for Group and Short Term Psychotherapy
(www.eastsideinstitute.org).