19.483, FYI: Ph.D. Studentships at Sussex

Mon Feb 11 21:02:26 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-483. Mon Feb 11 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.483, FYI: Ph.D. Studentships at Sussex

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 04-Feb-2008
From: Jessica Horst < jessica at sussex.ac.uk >
Subject: Ph.D. Studentships at Sussex

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 15:59:37
From: Jessica Horst [jessica at sussex.ac.uk]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-483.html&submissionid=168366&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGY
UNIVERSITY OF SUSSEX
FUNDED DPhil PLACES FOR OCTOBER 2008

The Department of Psychology at the University of Sussex invites
applications for a number of DPhil studentships to start in October 2008.
In particular, we offer one ESRC quota studentship (either as 1+3 or as +3
to candidates with an ESRC-recognised Masters qualification), one BBSRC
quota studentship, and up to five University-funded graduate teaching
assistantships.

We welcome applications from outstanding candidates with, or expecting to
obtain, a good degree in Psychology or a closely related discipline.
Candidates may apply to work on a project that falls within the research
interests of any member of faculty (see
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/psychology/1-4.html and the links to our four
research groups from that page). We particularly encourage applications to
work on the specific project outlined below.

Child Word Learning Study (Supervisor: Dr Jessica Horst - jessica at sussex.ac.uk)
Applications are invited for a PhD studentship to work on a word learning
project with Dr. Jessica Horst. This study aims to examine young children's
remarkable ability to learn words quickly and apparently effortlessly.
Specifically, we will investigate young children's word learning, focusing
on their early noun vocabulary. Several developmental methodologies will be
used to explore what children learn from the very first time they are
exposed to a new word and the object that it names. We will also study how
the word learning context influences children's abilities to remember newly
learned words. The student will receive training in various developmental
research methods and conduct research with children ages 1-4 years.
Applicants with a strong interest in cognitive development or language
acquisition are encouraged to apply.
See also: http://www.lifesci.sussex.ac.uk/research/wordlab/index.html

The Department:
The Department of Psychology was created in 2003 as part of a major
reorganisation of the University. However, Sussex has a strong tradition of
research in Psychology and the majority of the staff who formed the new
department was in 5-rated groups in the 2001 Research Assessment Exercise.
Since its formation, the department has expanded considerably both in
faculty numbers and in the facilities available to us. In particular, we
have well-equipped labs for carrying out research in all our main areas of
interest, and links with local schools and hospitals that greatly
facilitate research, for example, on cognitive development and cognitive
neuroscience. Labs include those for research in cognition, developmental
psychology, feeding and drinking, fMRI and PET (in the new Clinical Imaging
Sciences Centre), human psychophysiology (EEG, GSR, TMS, eyetracking),
psychoacoustics, psychopharmacology, social psychology, and vision.

At any time we have 50 or more students studying for research degrees. They
come from a wide variety of backgrounds and countries and make a major
contribution to the life of the Department. The mutual support provide by
members of this group creates an excellent environment for students to
carry out their doctoral projects. Research students have a desk in a
shared office, a desktop computer with internet access, and funds and
technical support for research.

Eligibility:
Standard Research Council eligibility requirements apply to ESRC and BBSRC
studentships, and projects funded by these research councils must fall
within their respective remits. University GTAs cover stipend and Home/EU
fees. Overseas students can apply, but will have to pay additional fees.
They may apply for an ORSAS grant to cover these additional fees. The
closing date for ORSAS applications is February 28th. Candidates intending
to apply for ORSAS funding should contact the department as soon as
possible, and well before the February 28th deadline.

Application Process:
All applicants are strongly advised to contact their prospective
supervisors before preparing and submitting an application. Those not
applying for one of the projects outlined below will be expected to provide
a research outline of up to two sides of single-spaced A4.

For details of how to apply see
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/publications/pgrad2008/applying. The closing
date for candidates wishing to be considered for funding is March 31st 2008
(ORSAS deadline earlier, see above). Please state in your application if
you are applying to work on one of the specified projects.

For general queries please contact either psychgrad at sussex.ac.uk
<mailto:psygrad at sussex.ac.uk> or the Psychology Postgraduate Research
Admissions Tutor, Prof. Alan Garnham (A.Garnham at sussex.ac.uk)

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition