19.508, Jobs: English & Corpus Ling & Second Lang Acq: Post Doc, U Michigan

Wed Feb 13 16:16:54 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-508. Wed Feb 13 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.508, Jobs: English & Corpus Ling & Second Lang Acq: Post Doc, U Michigan

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Feb-2008
From: Ute Römer < uroemer at umich.edu >
Subject: English & Corpus Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition: Post Doc, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:15:15
From: Ute Römer [uroemer at umich.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-508.html&submissionid=168962&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Michigan
Department: English Language Institute
Job Location: Michigan, USA
Web Address: http://www.lsa.umich.edu/eli

Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Text/Corpus Linguistics; Second Language Acquisition

Required Language(s): English (eng)

The English Language Institute at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, is
inviting applications for a postdoctoral research fellowship in corpus
linguistics and second language acquisition. The position is for one year
in the first instance, with a starting date between September and November,
2008.

Applicants should be well-versed in corpus-linguistic methodology, and will
be expected to assist with corpus analysis as well as corpus design and
compilation. Additionally, ideal candidates should have expertise in second
language acquisition (or possibly psycholinguistics), particularly with
regard to the acquisition of vocabulary, phraseology, collocation, pattern
grammar, construction grammar, or pragmatics.

In accordance with ELI tradition, we are seeking a candidate who is
interested in creating corpus-based resources (including multi-modal
corpora) for the linguistic research community as well as for teachers and
students world-wide. Furthermore, the candidate would be encouraged to use
ELI corpora, such as MICASE (the Michigan Corpus of Academic Spoken
English) and MICUSP (the Michigan Corpus of Upper-level Student Papers,
currently under development), as a basis for developing EAP teaching and
testing materials.

To apply, please send CV and cover letter emphasizing relevant background,
including contact information for two references. For additional
information or informal inquiries, please contact Dr. Ute Römer or Dr. Nick
C. Ellis at ncellis at umich.edu. We welcome both U.S. and international
applications. Applications may be submitted as e-mail attachments.

Application Deadline: 03-Mar-2008
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Dr Ute Römer
	University of Michigan English Language Institute
	500 E. Washington St.
	Ann Arbor, MI 48104
	USA
Email Address for Applications: uroemer at umich.edu