19.615, Jobs: English & Translation, Terminology: Terminologist, IBM

Fri Feb 22 21:13:01 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-615. Fri Feb 22 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.615, Jobs: English & Translation, Terminology: Terminologist, IBM

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz <luiza at linguistlist.org>

Date: 22-Feb-2008
From: Ali Rajah < alirajah at ca.ibm.com >
Subject: English & Translation, Terminology: Terminologist, IBM, Markham/Toronto, ON, Canada

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 16:11:26
From: Ali Rajah [alirajah at ca.ibm.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-615.html&submissionid=170362&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: IBM Canada
Department: Software Group Support Services
Job Location: Markham/Toronto, ON, Canada
Web Address: http://www-03.ibm.com/employment/ca/en/pro.html#

Job Rank: Terminologist

Specialty Areas: Translation; Terminology

Required Language(s): English (eng)

This is a 1 Year Supplemental Term Position
(Possible 1 year extension)

The terminology group helps product developers, writers, and translators
use the correct terminology in IBM products and materials. The group
currently has an open position for a junior terminologist. Regular tasks
include creating and updating terminological entries in a multilingual
terminology database, and identifying terms from an automatically extracted
corpus that are relevant to translators.

The position includes the following additional responsibilities:

Using a computer-based terminology management system, create, update, or
harmonize definitions, and add other metadata such as subject fields,
grammatical information, and source identifiers

Using sound terminological principles, establish relations between
synonyms, broader terms, narrower terms, and other related concepts

Using computer functions, import new terminology into the database and
export terminology into various output files such as glossaries for
customers and bilingual dictionaries for translators

Conduct terminology research to identify and define new terms

Qualifications:

Bachelor's degree or higher in terminology, or in translation with courses
in terminology, or in linguistics with courses in lexicology

Proficiency in English and at least one other language.

Experienced with a wide range of desktop computer applications.

Knowledge of markup formats such as HTML, SGML and XML.

Experience in translation preferred.

Apply online to the e-mail below (requsition number LU 00000164).

This is a temporary position paid hourly without the IBM benefits package.
Vacation, statutory holidays and overtime will be paid in accordance with
government employment standards legislation.

The employees of IBM represent a talented and diverse workforce. Achieving
the full potential of an inclusive environment is a business priority that
is at the core of our corporate culture. We encourage applicants of all
race, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation and
disability to join our organization and contribute to the rich diversity of
our global company.

Application Deadline: 15-Mar-2008 (Open until filled)

Web Address for Applications: http://www-03.ibm.com/employment/ca/en/pro.html#
Contact Information:
	Ali Rajah
	Email: alirajah at ca.ibm.com