19.656, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Research Scientist, SYSTRAN Software

Wed Feb 27 19:40:22 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-656. Wed Feb 27 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.656, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Research Scientist, SYSTRAN Software

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz <luiza at linguistlist.org>

Date: 27-Feb-2008
From: Jodi Oliveira < oliveira at systransoft.com >
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Research Scientist, SYSTRAN Software, San Diego, CA, USA

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:39:02
From: Jodi Oliveira [oliveira at systransoft.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-656.html&submissionid=170807&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: SYSTRAN Software
Department: R&D
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://www.systransoft.com

Job Rank: Research Scientist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Position ID: 		SD_RS_JS_200801

SYSTRAN is the market leading provider of language translation software
(machine translation) for the desktop, enterprise and Internet that
facilitates communication in 52 language combinations and in 20 domains.
With over three decades of expertise, SYSTRAN's software is the choice of
leading global corporations, portals such as AltaVista (TM), Microsoft (R)
and Yahoo! (R), and public agencies. Use of SYSTRAN products and solutions
enhances multilingual communication and increases user productivity and
time-savings for B2E, B2B and B2C markets as they deliver real-time
language solutions for search, content management, online customer support,
intra-company communications, eCommerce, and more. To learn more about
SYSTRAN visit our website given above.

Job Description, duties and responsibilities:

We are currently seeking experienced Software Engineers - Research
Scientists to join our R&D team in San Diego to develop machine translation
systems. The ideal candidate must have a combination of research and
implementation skills, including significant programming experience. Strong
experience with machine translation, text classification, statistical
techniques for NLP, information theory, or a related field is highly
desirable.

Responsibilities include software development, experimentation, analysis of
results, and building systems that combine linguistics and statistical
language models for machine translation covering several languages.

Skills:

- Strong background in statistical modelling required.
- A combination of research and implementation skills.
- Significant programming experience in C++.
- An exceptional individual interested in transforming the capabilities of
machine translation systems.
- Fluent in English and at least one additional language
- Solid background in linguistics.
- Excellent academic background and demonstrated academic achievement.
- Superior oral and written communications skills
- Evidence of mature, flexible, and innovative approaches in previous work
experience.

Education and Experience:
PhD in Computational Linguistics or relevant field.
3+ years work experience.

SYSTRAN is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for all
positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin,
age, disability, military service, or any other legally protected status.

Application Deadline: 27-Feb-2009 (Open until filled)

Email Address for Applications: ssi_sers_job at systransoft.com
Contact Information:
	Jodi Oliveira
	Email: oliveira at systransoft.com