19.665, Jobs: General Ling, Language Documentation: Program Director, NSF

Thu Feb 28 16:49:49 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-665. Thu Feb 28 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.665, Jobs: General Ling, Language Documentation: Program Director, NSF

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 28-Feb-2008
From: Bethany Townsend < bethany at linguistlist.org >
Subject: General Linguistics, Language Documentation: Program Director, National Science Foundation, Arlington, VA, USA

Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:48:29
From: Bethany Townsend [bethany at linguistlist.org]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-665.html&submissionid=170882&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: National Science Foundation
Department: Division of Behavioral & Cognitive Sciences
Web Address: http://nsf.gov

Job Rank: Program Director

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Language Documentation

The National Science Foundation is seeking candidates for a Program
Director position in the Linguistics Program within the Division of
Behavioral and Cognitive Sciences (BCS), Directorate for Social and
Behavioral Sciences, Arlington, VA.     The Linguistics Program seeks
highly innovative and interdisciplinary proposals aimed at supporting
scientific research of all types that focus on human language as an object
of investigation.  The program supports research on the syntactic,
semantic, phonetic, and phonological properties of individual languages and
of language in general; the psychological processes involved in the use of
language; the development of linguistic capacities in children; social and
cultural factors in language use, variation, and change; the acoustics of
speech and the physiological and psychological processes involved in the
production and perception of speech; and the biological bases of language
in the brain.

Ideally we are also seeking expertise for the new program in Documenting
Endangered Languages.  This program supports work on furthering our
descriptions and understanding of languages that will likely cease to be
spoken within a generation or two.  The Program Director will need a broad
understanding of linguistic theory, linguistic fieldwork, language rights
issues, and the quickly evolving range of technological approaches to
language documentation.

For more information regarding this job, view this link:

http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/getjob.asp?JobId=68866573&AVSDM=2008%2D02%2D22+00%3A03%3A02

Application Deadline: 31-Mar-2008
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Ms. Jacqueline Jackson