19.24, Jobs: Instructional Tech, Second Lang Teaching.: Asst Prof, U Arizona

Mon Jan 7 21:58:40 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-24. Mon Jan 07 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.24, Jobs: Instructional Tech, Second Lang Teaching.: Asst Prof, U Arizona

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Jan-2008
From: Christine Kiesel < ckiesel at email.arizona.edu >
Subject: Instructional Technology, Second Language Teaching.: Assistant Professor, University of Arizona, AZ, USA

Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:57:24
From: Christine Kiesel [ckiesel at email.arizona.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-24.html&submissionid=165162&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Arizona
Department: English
Job Location: Arizona, USA
Web Address: http://www.arizona.edu/

Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Instructional Technology, Second Language Teaching

Assistant Professor of English: Instructional Technology in Language
Teaching (ESL/FL)

The Program in English Language/Linguistics in the Department of English,
University of Arizona, invites applications for a full-time tenure-track
position of Assistant Professor in the field of instructional technology in
language teaching, to begin August 2008. The selected candidate will teach
courses in the MA/ESL degree program and in the interdisciplinary PhD
program in Second Language Acquisition and Teaching (SLAT), as well as at
the undergraduate level as appropriate. (All EL/L faculty also serve in the
SLAT program.) The individual selected will be expected to conduct an
active program of professional research and publication, and contribute to
the Department's commitment to University and community service.

Given the strongly multicultural and multilingual nature of our program, we
expect to attract candidates with experience and interest in working with
diverse students, colleagues, and communities. We particularly encourage
applications from women and underrepresented minorities. The Department is
located within the College of Humanities, which also includes Africana
Studies and East Asian Studies, as well as other language departments. The
University of Arizona aims to be a Hispanic-serving institution, and the
English Department and the EL/L program seek to expand our work with
underrepresented cultures and underserved constituencies.

Additional Minimum Qualifications:
- Knowledge of instructional design, Web 2.0 applications, web development
tools as applicable to computer-mediated language teaching
- Evidence of a promising trajectory in research and publication
- PhD by August 2008

Preferred qualifications:
- Knowledge of tools such as Flash, Dreamweaver, Javascript/Java
- Language teaching experience (desirably but not essentially English as a
Second Language)
- or familiarity with issues in language assessment and testing
- Multicultural experience

For full details and the online application form, see the posting at
https://www.uacareertrack.com (cite job #39877). Include letter of
application, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, and a
representative writing/publication sample in the online application. Please
send three letters of reference and a transcript of graduate coursework
directly to Professor Rudolph Troike, Chair, EL/L Search Committee at the
address given below.

Review of completed applications will begin February 1, 2008 and continue
until the position is filled. Interviews with finalists will be by
telephone. For more information on the English Department and the EL/L and
SLAT programs, go to http://web.arizona.edu/~english/ and
http://w3.coh.arizona.edu/slat/

The University of Arizona is an EEO/AA Employer M/W/D/V.

Application Deadline: 01-Feb-2008 (Open until filled)
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Professor Rudolph Troike
	Chair, EL/L Search Committee
	Department of English