19.42, Jobs: Phonetics/Speech Science: Asst/Assoc Prof, U British Columbia

Tue Jan 8 16:03:49 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-42. Tue Jan 08 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.42, Jobs: Phonetics/Speech Science: Asst/Assoc Prof, U British Columbia

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 03-Jan-2008
From: Edna Dharmaratne < dcarmen at interchange.ubc.ca >
Subject: Phonetics/Speech Science: Assistant or Associate Professor level, University of British Columbia, British Columbia, Canada

Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 11:02:30
From: Edna Dharmaratne [dcarmen at interchange.ubc.ca]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-42.html&submissionid=165222&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of British Columbia
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: British Columbia, Canada
Web Address: http://www.linguistics.ubc.ca

Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Phonetics; Speech Science

12-Month Limited Term Position in Phonetics/Speech Science

The Department of Linguistics at the University of British Columbia invites
applications for a limited term (12 month) full-time faculty position in
phonetics or speech science. We expect this position to be at either the
assistant or associate professor level, depending on rank and experience.
The successful candidate will teach one graduate course (LING 508: Phonetic
Theory and Analysis) and two upper-level undergraduate courses (LING 316:
introduction to Phonetics and Speech Science, and 317: Instrumental
Phonetics) during the academic year (September to April inclusive). In
addition, the position entails some graduate supervision, as well as the
opportunity to conduct research and participate actively in the
intellectual life of the department.

Applicants should have a primary specialization in phonetics or speech
science. A secondary research interest in Linguistic Fieldwork or Cognitive
Science would be an asset. Candidates should hold a PhD in phonetics or
speech science by the start date of the appointment and have demonstrated
teaching ability.

The appointment runs for 12 months, starting at a date to be negotiated
between July 1st and September 1st 2008. Salary will be commensurate with
qualifications and experience. This position is subject to final budgetary
approval.

Please send a hard copy of the following materials to the address below:
(i) application letter; (ii) curriculum vitae; (iii) teaching evaluations
(if available), or other evidence of teaching effectiveness; (iv) a sample
of published or unpublished work. In addition, applicants should arrange
for three letters of recommendation to be sent to Henry Davis, Acting Head,
Department of Linguistics at the address given below.

Any applicant whose materials are received by February 15th, 2008 will be
guaranteed consideration. UBC hires on the basis of merit and is committed
to employment equity. We encourage all qualified persons to apply. However,
Canadians and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority.

Application Deadline: 15-Feb-2008
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Henry Davis
	Acting Head, Department of Linguistics