19.38, Jobs: English & Discourse Analyst: Other, H5

Tue Jan 8 15:51:17 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-38. Tue Jan 08 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.38, Jobs: English & Discourse Analyst: Other, H5

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 04-Jan-2008
From: Laura Carey < careers at h5technologies.com >
Subject: English & Discourse Analyst: Other, H5, San Francisco, CA, USA

Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 10:49:38
From: Laura Carey [careers at h5technologies.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-38.html&submissionid=165306&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: H5
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://www.h5technologies.com

Job Rank:

Specialty Areas: Discourse Analysis; Semantics, Syntax, Corpus, Computational

Required Language(s): English (eng)

Position: Discourse Analyst / Linguist
Location: San Francisco

About H5
H5 serves the needs of Fortune 500 corporate legal departments and leading
law firms, delivering automated document review and risk management
services. H5's document review and analytic services uniquely support our
clients' requirements for large-scale litigation, records retention, and
regulatory compliance. H5's "hybrid" approach to document review combines
patented information retrieval technology and expert professional services.
Through this model, H5 has created a fully integrated document review
system that is unparalleled in performance, as proven in independent,
benchmarked studies. Using the H5 system, our clients have demonstrably
reduced (by 50 percent or more) the risk, cost, and time-to-completion
traditionally associated with large-scale document review. For more
information, visit the website listed above.

Overview:
Our Professional Services Group consults with litigants and their legal
teams to devise a classification scheme then trains our patented software
engine to automatically classify documents in the collection. H5 is seeking
linguists to join us for several upcoming large projects.

Primary Responsibilities:
-  Analyzing linguistic data
-  Researching large corpora for linguistic patterns
-  Interviewing subject matter experts
-  Rapidly developing an understanding of new fields
-  Reading a wide variety of documents, from e-mail to academic articles;
synthesizing large amounts of information into a coherent picture of the
community that produced and used it
-  Researching factual issues in complex litigation
-  Identifying and modeling processes and relationships in a community
-  Designing, building, and testing H5's unique and proprietary knowledge bases

Key Competencies:
-  A demonstrated understanding of role of semantics and syntax in natural
language
-  Experience in corpus or text analysis, conversation analysis, or
computational linguistics a plus.
-  An interest in researching and modeling another community's structure,
and the interests, goals, and constraints that shape the actions of members
of that community
-  Experience in ethnography or anthropology a plus
-  Leadership skills, personal incentive and a demonstrated ability to
initiate, develop, and successfully conclude projects
-  A sharp eye for detail, precise thinking, the ability to make close,
analytical judgments, and a practiced sense of order and organization
-  Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, both autonomously and
collaboratively
-  Basic computer and software competency in a PC/Windows environment,
including Microsoft Office
-  Basic familiarity with Unix and PERL - programming skills a plus
-  Experience in a software development environment a plus
Minimal Qualifications
-  Solid academic credentials: advanced-undergraduate and/or graduate-level
coursework in linguistics
-  Experience applying linguistic expertise to real language data
-  Experience in a professional or business environment
-  Mastery of the English language

H5 rewards personal excellence in the pursuit of our common goals and is
extraordinarily respectful of the individual and of the creative,
intellectual, and cultural diversity of our team. Our culture has allowed
us to attract and retain talented individuals who are driven by a vision of
the way we will transform the practice of litigation and risk management.
H5 is an equal opportunity employer.

Application Deadline: 01-Dec-2008 (Open until filled)

Web Address for Applications: http://tbe.taleo.net/NA7/ats/careers/searchResults.jsp?org=H5&cws=1
Contact Information:
	Laura Carey
	Email: careers at h5technologies.com