19.306, Jobs: Information Processing: Research Laboratory Director, CSIRO

Sat Jan 26 18:15:03 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-306. Sat Jan 26 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.306, Jobs: Information Processing: Research Laboratory Director, CSIRO

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 24-Jan-2008
From: Cecile Paris < Cecile.Paris at csiro.au >
Subject: Information Processing: Research Laboratory Director, CSIRO, Canberra, Australia

Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:13:01
From: Cecile Paris [Cecile.Paris at csiro.au]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-306.html&submissionid=167241&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: CSIRO
Department: ICT Centre
Job Location: Canberra, Australia
Web Address: http://www.csiro.au

Job Rank: Research Laboratory Director

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Information Processing

Reference Number: 2007/1257
Position Title: Research Director - Information Engineering
Salary Range: A competitive salary package of $180K + may be negotiated
Tenure: Indefinite with appointment to the role of Research Director for an
initial period of 5 years
Job Category:   Management/Executive; Scientific Research

See the application URL below for additional details.

The CSIRO ICT Centre is building a role for Australia as a global ICT
innovator by delivering leading-edge Information and Communication
Technology solutions for industry and society. The Centre has over 250
researchers across Australia working on a wide range of ICT technologies
and application areas.

We are seeking to appoint a Research Director of international standing to
lead our Information Engineering Laboratory. The successful applicant will
have an established international research record in the information or
data research, including web services, data management, privacy, natural
language processing, user modelling or information retrieval and
demonstrated leadership of a significant research group.

The successful applicant to this rare opportunity will lead our
multi-disciplinary information engineering research laboratory with over 35
research scientists and software engineers. The current investment in the
laboratory is over $10M with a substantial amount of funding coming from
externally focused research projects. The successful applicant will be
appointed to an indefinite position within the CSIRO ICT Centre and upon
appointment, to the role of Research Director for a period of 5 years.

The role includes the maintenance and development of a range of national
and international relationships to ensure that the Centre's research
results deliver impact and that the technology is transferred to our
partners, industry and the community. This includes CSIRO Flagships which
are major research initiatives focused on national priorities.

The Information Engineering Laboratory is centred at our Canberra site on
the campus of the Australian National University with some staff also
located at our Macquarie University site (Sydney).

The laboratory has strength in information retrieval, information delivery,
user modelling, natural language generation, data management, semantic
integration, and web services.  These strengths are applied to the
government, public safety, environment and health sectors. The lab works on
very large scale problems in partnership with domain experts, and other
relevant science disciplines. We marry our strengths in our science areas
of search and retrieval, natural language technology and data and web
services, with expertise in networks, mathematics and statistics, and deep
analytics in a number of domain specific areas. For example, we are
involved in a project to manage Australia's water resources by combining
our skills in data with skills in hydrology and statistics in a large multi
year project as part of one of CSIRO Flagship activities.

It is expected that the Research Director will shape and define the
research program and associated priorities within the Laboratory.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.

Application Deadline: 18-Feb-2008

Web Address for Applications: http://recruitment.csiro.au/asp/caution.asp?RefNo=2007%2F1257
Contact Information:
	Dr Cecile Paris