19.2102, Qs: Assisted Causation in Marathi and Malayalam

Tue Jul 1 20:09:18 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2102. Tue Jul 01 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2102, Qs: Assisted Causation in Marathi and Malayalam

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 30-Jun-2008
From: Gavin Austin < gaustin2 at une.edu.au >
Subject: Assisted Causation in Marathi and Malayalam

Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 16:07:38
From: Gavin Austin [gaustin2 at une.edu.au]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2102.html&submissionid=183182&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear all,

I recently posed a query about Hindi causatives (#19.1789, see below) and
received many helpful replies. It turned out that, when a causative is
formed on an ingestive verb (e.g. 'eat', 'drink') in Hindi, there is no
obligatory implication that the causee cannot perform the action without
assistance. (In Sinhala, there is.)

What I ought to have done at the same time was pose the same question about
Marathi, (1), and Malayalam, (2). (Both sentences are taken from Alsina &
Joshi 1991. I alone am to blame for the crude glossing.)

(1)	sumaa-ni  raam-laa  paani  paadzle
	Suma-ERG  Ram-ACC   water  drink-CAUS
	'Suma made Ram drink water.'

Scenario A: Ram is incapable of carrying out the action by himself; e.g. he
is a very young child or an invalid.

Scenario B: Ram is capable of carrying out the action by himself; e.g. he
is an able-bodied adult.

My question is this: Is sentence (1) compatible with A only; B only; or
either A or B?

(2)	amma   kuttiye	 maanna	tiittum
	mother child-ACC mango	eat-CAUS-FUT
	'The mother will feed the child mango.'

Scenario A: The child is incapable of carrying out the action by himself.

Scenario B: The child is capable of carrying out the action by himself.

My question is this: Is sentence (2) compatible with A only; B only; or
either A or B?

I'd also like to pose the same question about causees formed on ingestive
verbs in Chichewa and Chamorro. It's highly unlikely that ingestive
causatives in either of these two languages behave any differently from
non-ingestive causatives, but I'd like to be certain if possible.

Thanks very much in advance for any input.

Best,

Gavin Austin
U of New England

Reference:

Alsina, A. and S. Joshi (1991) Parameters in causative constructions. In L.
M. Dobrin, L. Nichols and R. M. Rodriguez (eds.) Papers from the 27th
Regional Meeting of the Chicago Linguistic Society. Chicago, IL: Chicago
Linguistic Society, pp. 1-15.

To refer to LINGUIST issue 19.1789:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/19/19-1789.html

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax