19.2155, Diss: Lang Documentation/Seman tics: Muehlbauer: 'k â-yôskâtahk ôma ...'

Sun Jul 6 14:26:20 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2155. Sun Jul 06 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2155, Diss: Lang Documentation/Semantics: Muehlbauer: 'kâ-yôskâtahk ôma ...'

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Evelyn Richter <evelyn at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Jul-2008
From: Jeff Muehlbauer < jefmuehl at interchange.ubc.ca >
Subject: kâ-yôskâtahk ôma nêhiyawêwin: The representation of intentionality in Plains Cree

Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 10:24:57
From: Jeff Muehlbauer [jefmuehl at interchange.ubc.ca]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2155.html&submissionid=183701&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: University of British Columbia
Program: Department of Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2008

Author: Jeff Muehlbauer

Dissertation Title: kâ-yôskâtahk ôma nêhiyawêwin: The representation of
intentionality in Plains Cree

Dissertation URL:  http://hdl.handle.net/2429/940

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Language Documentation
                     Pragmatics
                     Semantics

Subject Language(s): Cree, Plains (crk)

Dissertation Director(s):
Guy Carden
H.C. Wolfart
Rose-Marie Déchaine
Hotze Rullmann

Dissertation Abstract:

This thesis considers the reference system of Plains Cree, an Algonquian
language spoken in Canada. I argue that the referential system of this
language can be understood as coding distinctions in extentionality; it
distinguishes between referents that possess perspectives ('intentional')
and referents that do not ('extentional'). With respect to perspectival
possession, Plains Cree distinguishes four referential classes: (i)
inherently extentional 'Inanimate' referents, (ii) contextually extentional
'Obviative' referents, (iii) contextually intentional 'Proximate'
referents, and (iv) unspecified 'Animate' referents. I then show that the
referential class 'Obviative' is decompositional; it is constructed out of
components that code referential dependency, which is the confluence of
structural ordering and perspectival embedding. Finally, I consider the
methodological issues raised by the study of referential types, showing how
different data-collection methods interact with the semantics of
perspectival possession.