19.2219, Jobs: Various Languages & Speech Recognition, NLP: Programmer, AppTek

Sun Jul 13 01:53:43 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2219. Sat Jul 12 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2219, Jobs: Various Languages & Speech Recognition, NLP: Programmer, AppTek

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 09-Jul-2008
From: mike veronis < jobs at apptek.com >
Subject: Various Languages & Speech Recognition, NLP: Programmer, AppTek, McLean, VA, USA

Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 21:49:11
From: mike veronis [jobs at apptek.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2219.html&submissionid=184121&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: AppTek
Job Location: Virginia, USA
Web Address: http://www.apptek.com

Job Rank: Programmer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Speech Recognition, Natural Language Processing

Required Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb)
                      Chinese, Mandarin (cmn)
                      English (eng)
                      Pashto, Southern (pbt)
                      Pashto, Northern (pbu)
                      Farsi, Eastern (prs)
                      Russian (rus)
                      Spanish (spa)
                      Urdu (urd)

Applications Technology, Inc. (AppTek) is a dynamic, fast-growing software
company in the Washington, DC metro area.  AppTek has been working in human
language technology since 1990 and we are one of the leading companies in
the field of Machine Translation (MT) and Automated Speech Recognition
(ASR). AppTek provides technologies like speech recognition, machine
translation, information retrieval, automatic document classification,
automatic text (or speech) summarization, etc.

Since 1996, AppTek's speech recognition team has been working on highly
scalable, state-of-the-art speech recognition systems that run on large
server farms, stand-alone PCs or small, integrated and/or embedded
computers (PDA-class and even DSPs) and for many languages. Application
domains are among others: transcription of broadcast media, telephony
applications (small and large vocabulary, e.g. voice-based search or
voicemail transcription) and microphone-input for speech-to-speech translation.

We have opportunities for Speech Recognition Engineers/Scientists to expand
our technical team.

Job functions include:

-  Develop and train acoustic and language models for specific commercial
and research systems.
-  Develop models for new languages and application environments.
-  Develop and implement speech recognition applications using our
PlainSpeech ASR.
-  Develop new algorithms to extend AppTek's speech recognition system,
especially in areas such as non-native speech recognition and embedded
speech recognition.

Education and experience desired:

-  BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, electrical engineering, mathematics,
or physics.
-  2+ years of experience building speech recognition applications.
-  Strong programming skills in C/C++
-  Experience programming with scripting languages (shell scripts, Perl,
Python).
-  Experience with natural language processing highly desired.
-  Experience with XML technologies is a plus.
-  Experience with Unix/Linux (shell scripts, bash, cygwin) is a plus.
-  Being fluent in another language besides English is a plus.

Other requirements include:

-  Proven ability to meet deadlines, prioritize projects, and deliver results.
-  Good communication skills.

To apply, send resume and salary requirements to the application email
listed below.

Email Address for Applications: jobs at apptek.com
Contact Information:
	mike veronis