19.2291, Jobs: Gen Ling: Director of Ling/Cultural Assessment, Lexicon Branding

Fri Jul 18 15:16:23 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2291. Fri Jul 18 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2291, Jobs: Gen Ling: Director of Ling/Cultural Assessment, Lexicon Branding

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 17-Jul-2008
From: Heather Raulet < raulet at lexicon-branding.com >
Subject: General Linguistics: Director of Linguistics & Cultural Assessments, Lexicon Branding, Sausalito, CA, USA

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:13:15
From: Heather Raulet [raulet at lexicon-branding.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2291.html&submissionid=184856&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Lexicon Branding
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://www.lexicon-branding.com

Job Rank: Director of Linguistics and Cultural Assessments

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

Lexicon Branding, located in Sausalito, CA, is looking for a Director of
Linguistics and Cultural Assessments with a Masters or PhD in linguistics,
anthropology, or a related field to lead Lexicon's extensive linguistic and
cultural assessment team.

Lexicon's current staff includes a network of 77 PhD linguists in 43
countries who report on linguistic, cultural, and transliteration issues
involving brand names.

Depending on the candidate's background, other responsibilities could
include: involvement in our creative process, writing detailed linguistic
assessments of prospective brand names, developing new research techniques
to measure the effectiveness of brand names, evaluating marketing programs
for cross-cultural effectiveness, and working on qualitative consumer
research on potential brand names.

Responsibilities include the following:
-  Managing a team of linguists working on cultural and linguistic
assessments of brand name candidates;
-  Assisting in the development and execution of consumer research programs
on a global basis;
-  Leading innovation programs and R&D projects in linguistics for the company

The ideal candidate will have an impressive combination of the following
skills and qualifications:

-  Masters or PhD in linguistics, anthropology, or a related field (ABDs
will be considered);
-  Proven managerial skills;
-  Strong knowledge of at least two language families;
-  Background in semantic, pragmatics, sociolinguistics, or linguistic
anthropology;
-  Experience eliciting linguistic data from informants through
questionnaires, interviews, or observational studies;
-  Broad perspective on cross-cultural matters;
-  Some background or experience in advertising, consulting, marketing, or
graphic design preferred but not required; and
-  Excellent communication skills

This is a high-paced work environment, since assignments are crucially
time-sensitive and can involve quick turn-arounds and sudden deadlines.

Names that Lexicon has developed over the years include Pentium, PowerBook,
Scion, Swiffer, and BlackBerry.  From very early on, the company has
included a team of linguists as a way of bringing fresh insights about
language into the field of branding.  If this sounds potentially more
attractive than an academic career, we look forward to hearing from you.

Interested candidates should submit a CV with a cover letter, via e-mail
only, to Heather Raulet.

Email Address for Applications: raulet at lexicon-branding.com
Contact Information:
	Heather Raulet