19.1764, Jobs: English & Cognitive Science: Research Associate, Real Reason

Tue Jun 3 14:18:04 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1764. Tue Jun 03 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1764, Jobs: English & Cognitive Science: Research Associate, Real Reason

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz <luiza at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Jun-2008
From: Anat Shenker-Osorio < shenker-osorio at realreason.org >
Subject: English & Cognitive Science: Research Associate, Real Reason, Oakland, CA, USA

Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 10:16:47
From: Anat Shenker-Osorio [shenker-osorio at realreason.org]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1764.html&submissionid=180681&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Real Reason
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://realreason.org

Job Rank: Research Associate

Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; Semantics & Discourse

Required Language(s): English (eng)

Real Reason is a California nonprofit founded in 2006. Real Reason applies
the tools of cognitive linguistics to help people think and act
democratically, in service of the common good. We explore not just where
people are right now, but where they are capable of going. Our work is
designed to generate communication that activates innate capacities in the
public that may be either underdeveloped or in a state of atrophy:
flexibility in thinking, tolerance of ambiguity, understanding of
interconnection, and a collaborative problem-solving orientation.

Real Reason invites applications for a temporary or regular part-time
research associate.

Duties include: Contribute directly to cognitive linguistic research and
analysis, by identifying and evaluating language data as directed;
documenting and reporting on findings; while maintaining careful attention
to goals, methods and timelines. Support the evolution and documentation of
in-house methodologies. Support the presentation of Real Reason's work to
current and potential clients, funders, board members, and the public, by
communicating findings orally and in writing clearly, accurately, and
effectively. Attend meetings as necessary with experts, partners, clients,
and funders, and assist in presenting research findings (opportunities for
both regional and national travel).

Compensation is $16-$20/hr, DOE.

Qualifications include: (1) Advanced graduate training or equivalent in
cognitive linguistics. (exceptional candidates holding a 4-year linguistics
degree should also apply), (2) demonstrated ability to conduct analysis
using tools of the field, including metaphor analysis, force dynamic
principles, frame semantics, and category structures, and (3) commitment to
establishing and promoting a just and equitable democratic society.
Candidates with more advanced training and experience are also encouraged
to inquire, as additional positions may soon be available.

Applications will be reviewed upon receipt.

Solicit an application and send it with cover letter, resume or curriculum
vitae and references.

Real Reason seeks to broaden the cultural knowledge, skills and experiences
with which we do our work: having an expanded set of cultural fluencies on
our staff is essential. Real Reason actively seeks candidates of color and
other underrepresented backgrounds.

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Alliance Director Anat Shenker-Osorio
	55 Santa Clara Avenue, Suite 200