19.1790, Qs: Periphrastic 'go'-based Passives in Gaelic

Wed Jun 4 18:50:00 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1790. Wed Jun 04 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1790, Qs: Periphrastic 'go'-based Passives in Gaelic

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 03-Jun-2008
From: Philippe Bourdin < pbourdin at yorku.ca >
Subject: Periphrastic 'go'-based Passives in Gaelic

Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 14:49:11
From: Philippe Bourdin [pbourdin at yorku.ca]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1790.html&submissionid=180725&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I am interested in gleaning information regarding the periphrastic passives
involving the ''equivalent'' of 'go' in Scottish Gaelic and Manx. The
sources that I have looked up (e.g. Calder, 1923 and Thomson in MacAulay,
1992) are useful and suggestive, but limited in depth and scope. I have not
been able to find any sources (published in English, German, Russian or any
Romance language) dealing more specifically with these constructions, which
strike me as typologically idiosyncratic from a morphosyntactic point of view.
I would very much appreciate any assistance in this search from colleagues
well-versed in those languages.

Topics of special interest are the genesis of these constructions,
competition with alternative strategies for encoding passive voice,
syntactic constraints (for instance possibility of an Agent NP),
differences between Scottish Gaelic and Manx (my sense is that the verbal
noun is in subject position in Gaelic, but not in Manx), etc. I would also
very much appreciate any info regarding the specific semantics of the 'go'
verbs involved (degree of deicticity and ability to function as verbs of
'becoming' in particular). Many thanks in advance.

Linguistic Field(s): Typology