19.2044, FYI: English with an Accent - Website

Thu Jun 26 16:13:51 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2044. Thu Jun 26 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2044, FYI: English with an Accent - Website

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 23-Jun-2008
From: Rosina Lippi-Green < rosinalippi at pobox.com >
Subject: English with an Accent - Website

Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 12:12:44
From: Rosina Lippi-Green [rosinalippi at pobox.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2044.html&submissionid=182582&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

I have had many helpful responses to my query on new materials in the area
of language ideology/discrimination. They are still coming in at a good
clip. When I've got the list organized and formatted, I will post it here.

In a related matter, I have set up a website for English with an Accent:
http://www.englishwithanaccent.com

 It takes a while to get a readership established, but I think that with
some luck  it may become a good source of language attitude data of various
kinds (and qualities). A general survey is up now and will stay up for a
few months.

If you have time to drop by, I'd appreciate any feedback. I'm also hoping
that those of you who have language weblogs or websites will announce this
new site, as a way to get things moving.

Finally, one of the things I'd like to do is include information about
current issues in language discrimination, so if you run across something
in your local news sources and you have time, please drop me an email. I
will also have a form for people to submit who would like to tell me about
their own experiences with language-based discrimination in a less public
way than posting on a website.

Thanks for whatever help you might be able to send my way.

Rosina

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics