19.695, FYI: New Forum: 50's 60's Berlin ASA Linguists

Sat Mar 1 19:05:17 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-695. Sat Mar 01 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.695, FYI: New Forum: 50's 60's Berlin ASA Linguists

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 01-Mar-2008
From: Beverly Howard < Bev at BevHoward.com >
Subject: New Forum: 50's 60's Berlin ASA Linguists

Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 14:01:55
From: Beverly Howard [Bev at BevHoward.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-695.html&submissionid=171063&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

In the 50's and 60's many linguists were trained at the US Army's language
school in Monterey California.

Due to the nature of the work and the nature of the army, most (including
myself) served only one enlistment and lost contact with other linguists
they worked with after discharge.

I am attempting to establish a forum for German, Russian and other
linguists who worked in Berlin (78th USASA) during the 50's and 60's, but
not having much success because of the negative experience most had with
the army coupled with clearance agreements.

If you are one of those linguists, or know of any or any related
organizations, please let me know and/or join the group at:

There are already a number of forum members with different MOS, but, at the
moment, only two are linguists.

If any of you were ASA, there are a number of images and links on the forum
site showing a chunk of history for this interesting cold war period.

Thanks in advance,
Beverly Howard