19.817, What: Would Labov Ask you?

Tue Mar 11 19:52:47 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-817. Tue Mar 11 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.817, What: Would Labov Ask you?

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Gayathri Sriram <gayatri at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 11-Mar-2008
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >
Subject: Ring Master of the Day

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:51:07
From:  linguist [linguist at linguistlist.org]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-817.html&submissionid=171864&topicid=121&msgnumber=1

Dear Subscribers,

This is our third year featuring linguists that have influenced the LINGUIST crew
members as the Linguists of the Day. This is a feature that was very popular in
the past few year and we are proud of being able to tell our readership about it.

This year we have seven outstanding and very interesting linguists telling us all
how they got involved in linguistics and what were the different paths that they
took to be where they are today. We are absolutely sure you will be captivated by
their stories and you will enjoy them as much as we do.

The Ring Masters of the Day are featured at:
< http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2008/linguist-of-the-day/ >. At different
times during our Fund Drive you will be able to read about who was William Labov's
freshman advisor, where he did his first field research and what's the first
question he asks anyone he interviews. You will also be able to read about what
was one of Barbara Partee's regrets when she was a child; who visited Peter
Tudgill's mother and had tea while reading his dissertation; which one of Steven
Pinker's theories turned out to be false; what Arnold Zwicky tells all theoretical
linguists that they need to know; and how Lenore Grenoble and Katarzyna
Dziubalska-Kolaczyk got to be linguists.

Read William Labov's story now at:
http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2008/linguist-of-the-day/Labov.cfm and make
sure you come back at a later time to read the rest of them. We are sure you will
have a nice time reading about these renowned and exceptional linguists.

The LINGUIST Crew

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $60,000. This money will go to help keep
the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out our Fund Drive
2008 LINGUIST List Circus and join us on our many shows!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2008/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donate.html

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such
can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c)
Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations
can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax
payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your
financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any
gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting
your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills
in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure
that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny.
Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.

We would like to thank all of the publishers and subscribers who
donated prizes for this year's Fund Drive games, puzzles, and
competitions.

Publisher Prize Donors:

Cascadilla Press
Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd
Edinburgh University Press
Elsevier
John Benjamins
Multilingual Matters
Cambridge University Press
Lincom
MIT Press
Oxford University Press

Subscriber Prize Donors:

Stefan Dollinger
Suzette Haden Elgin
Monica Macaulay
Sandina Vasile

The LINGUIST List Hall of Fame

RING LEADERS ($1000 and over)

D Terence Langendoen
Deutsche Sprachwiss

LION TAMERS ($100 to $1000)

A K
anita fetzer
Arienne Dwyer
Catherine Rudin
Danny Moates
David Bowie
Elizabeth Liddy
Ernest McCarus
james corcoran
Jeffrey Heath
Keren Rice
Kiyoko Takahashi
Michael Silverstein
Michael Swan
Monica Macaulay & Joe Salmons
Northeastern University Linguistics Program
Oleksandr Dymo
Oliver Stegen
Richard Hudson
Steven Pinker
Susanne Gahl
tom Roeper
Ute Römer
Veronika Koller
Victoria Muehleisen
Wolfgang J. Meyer
Zenzi M. Griffin

- Plus 7 anonymous donors

ACROBATS ($50 to $100)

Alana Thorpe
Albin Jaques
Ana bartra kaufmann
Andrea Berez
Ann Wehmeyer
Anna Fagan
Donna Lillian
francisco Dubert
Humphrey P van Polanen Petel
Jean Mulder
Joost Kremers
Leslie Saxon
Loretta O'Connor
Marianna Di Paolo
Mary Dalrymple
Robert Cirillo
SJ Hannahs
Stefan Th. Gries
Susan D Fischer
Tatjana Scheffler
Thomas Koller
WIM VANDENBUSSCHE, VRIJE UNIVERSITEIT BRUSSEL
Yael Ziv

- Plus 5 anonymous donors

DONORS (Up to $50)

ben wes
Benedetta Bassetti
C.L. Cannizzaro
Catharina Peersman
Catherine Anderson
Clare Wright
Gunther De Vogelaer
Judith Tonhauser
Laurel Fais
Liberty Lidz
Michael Yoshitaka Erlewine
Nynke de Haas
PHILIPPE DE BRABANTER
Richard Winters
Sebastian Sauppe
Stefan Karl Serwe
Suzanne Aalberse
Yuni Kim

- Plus 10 anonymous donors

MAJOR SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

Brill
http://www.brill.nl
http://www.brillonline.nl
Cambridge University Press
http://us.cambridge.org
Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd
http://www.continuumbooks.com
Edinburgh University Press
http://www.eup.ed.ac.uk/
Elsevier Ltd
http://www.elsevier.com/linguistics
http://www.elsevier.com/linguistics
Equinox Publishing Ltd
http://www.equinoxpub.com/
Georgetown University Press
http://www.press.georgetown.edu
Hodder Education
http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk
John Benjamins
http://www.benjamins.com/
http://www.benjamins.nl/
Lincom GmbH
http://www.lincom.eu
www.lincom.eu
MIT Press
http://mitpress.mit.edu/
Mouton de Gruyter
http://www.mouton-publishers.com
Multilingual Matters
http://www.multilingual-matters.com/
Narr Francke Attempto Verlag GmbH + Co. KG
http://www.narr.de/
Oxford University Press
http://www.oup.com/us
http://www.oup.co.uk
Peter Lang AG
http://www.peterlang.com
Rodopi
http://www.rodopi.nl/
http://www.rodopi.nl
Routledge (Taylor and Francis)
http://www.routledge.com/
Springer
http://www.springer.com
Wiley-Blackwell
http://www.blackwellpublishing.com

OTHER SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS
Association of Editors of the Journal of Portuguese Linguistics
http://www.fl.ul.pt/revistas/JPL/JPLweb.htm
Cascadilla Press
http://www.cascadilla.com/
Graduate Linguistic Students' Assoc.   Umass
http://glsa.hypermart.net/
International Pragmatics Assoc.
http://www.ipra.be
Linguistic Association of Finland
http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/sky/
Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics / Landelijke - LOT
http://www.lotpublications.nl/
SIL International
http://www.ethnologue.com/bookstore.asp
St. Jerome Publishing Ltd
http://www.stjerome.co.uk
Utrecht institute of Linguistics
http://www-uilots.let.uu.nl/

INSTITUTIONS

Basis Technology
Bridgewater State College
Brock University
Carriebeam Consulting
CEA LIST
City University of Hong Kong
CNRS
CommonHealth
Concordia University
CSIRO
Datascope Recruitment
Denison University
Dongduk Women's University
Educational Testing Service
Finnova AG Bankware
Gallaudet University
Global Business Network LLC (GlobNet)
H5
Hanyang University
Hapax Ltd.
Heriot-Watt University
Higher Colleges of Technology
Hokkaido University
Högskolan Dalarna
IBM Canada
ILTEC
Indiana University
Iowa State University
Janya Inc.
Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität
Johann-Wolfgang-Goethe-Universität Frankfurt
Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
Johns Hopkins University
Justus Liebig Universität Gießen
LADO International College
Lexicon Branding
Macquarie University
Magpie
McNeil Technologies
Memorial University
MITRE Corporation
Monash South Africa
Morgan State University
Nangwik Services
National Taiwan Normal University
New York University
Northern Arizona University
Northwestern Institute on Complex Systems
Northwestern University
Nuance Communications
Oxford University Press
Pittsburg State University
Q-go
Queens College/CUNY
RiverGlass
Ruhr Universitaet Bochum
Ruhr-Universität Bochum
School of Oriental and African Studies
Sensory, Inc.
SkyGrid, Inc.
SVOX AG
SYSTRAN Software
TeleNav
Teragram Corporation
The Fizzback Group
The University of Montana
The University of Sydney
The University of Tromsø/The Faculty of Humanities
U of Maryland
University College London
University of Aizu
University of Alabama at Birmingham
University of Amsterdam
University of Arizona
University of Bielefeld
University of British Columbia
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
University of Chicago
University of Florida
University of Georgia
University of Groningen
University of Konstanz
University of Macau
University of Michigan
University of Namur
University of Notre Dame
University of Nottingham, Ningbo
University of Nottingham, Ningbo China
University of Oregon
University of Oslo
University of Rochester
University of Texas - Pan American
University of Texas at Austin
University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
University of Tromso
University of Tromsø
University of Ulster
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
University of York
University Oldenburg
Universität Mannheim
Université catholique de Louvain
Université du Québec en Outaouais
Utrecht University; Faculty of Humanities
Vantage Linguistics
Yale University