19.916, Confs: General Linguistics/Belgium

Tue Mar 18 21:13:02 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-916. Tue Mar 18 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.916, Confs: General Linguistics/Belgium

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Stephanie Morse <morse at linguistlist.org>

Date: 18-Mar-2008
From: Bert Cornillie < bert.cornillie at arts.kuleuven.be >
Subject: New Reflections on Grammaticalization 4

Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:10:19
From: Bert Cornillie [bert.cornillie at arts.kuleuven.be]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-916.html&submissionid=172581&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

New Reflections on Grammaticalization 4
Short Title: NRG4

Date: 16-Jul-2008 - 19-Jul-2008
Location: Leuven, Belgium
Contact: Bert Cornillie
Contact Email: bert.cornillie at arts.kuleuven.be
Meeting URL: http://wwwling.arts.kuleuven.be/nrg4

Over the last years, three conferences (Potsdam 1999, Amsterdam 2002, Santiago
de Compostela 2005) presented reflections on grammaticalization, adducing new
evidence - and sometimes counterevidence - for the concept of
grammaticalization. The fourth NRG conference at the University of Leuven
intends to bring together innovating papers that explore the boundaries of the
current grammaticalization research.

The Fourth New Reflections on Grammaticalization Conference (NRG4) will take
place at the University of Leuven, Belgium from 16 to 19 July 2008.

The plenary speakers are:

Laurel Brinton (University of British Columbia)
''The fate of obsolete grammatical formations: (de)grammaticalization,
lexicalization, or word formation?''

Holger Diessel (University of Jena)
''Rethinking the grammar-lexicon continuum''

John W. Du Bois (University of California at Santa Barbara)
''Cognitive containment and the emergence of complexity: grammaticizing the
ditransitive construction''

Regine Eckardt (University of Goettingen)
''From pragmatics to grammar: NPI clines''

Muriel Norde (University of Groningen)
''Classifying degrammaticalization''

Graeme Trousdale (University of Edinburgh)
''Grammaticalization, constructions and the grammaticalization of constructions''

Richard Waltereit (University of Newcastle)
''On the origins of grammaticalization in discourse

There will be about 120 session papers, three workshops,
and a social programme. More information on the conference (registration,
accommodation, travel information) can be found at:
http://wwwling.arts.kuleuven.be/nrg4

Please note that early registration ends on 31 March 2008.

We look forward to seeing you in Leuven this summer.

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $60,000. This money will go to help keep
the List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out our Fund Drive
2008 LINGUIST List Circus and join us on our many shows!

http://linguistlist.org/fund-drive/2008/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form at

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later. To do so, go to:
https://linguistlist.org/donation/pledge/pledge1.cfm

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to
donate by check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:
http://linguistlist.org/donate.html

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such
can receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c)
Non Profit organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations
can be offset against your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax
payers only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your
financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any
gift you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting
your human resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills
in and returns to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure
that doubles the value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny.
Please take a moment to check if your company operates such a program.