19.1542, FYI: How to Use MICASE Online -- Video Demo Available!

Tue May 13 02:21:10 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1542. Mon May 12 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1542, FYI: How to Use MICASE Online -- Video Demo Available!

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-May-2008
From: Ute Römer < uroemer at umich.edu >
Subject: How to Use MICASE Online -- Video Demo Available!

Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 22:19:37
From: Ute Römer [uroemer at umich.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1542.html&submissionid=178202&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Dear all,

We have just put online a video and PowerPoint slides (in pdf format) of an
introductory demo of the new web-interface to the Michigan Corpus of
Academic Spoken English (MICASE). The demo was given by Stefanie Wulff and
myself as an in-house presentation at the UM English Language Institute in
December 2007. We explain how MICASE online can be accessed (i.e. how the
corpus can be searched and browsed and how the search/browse results can be
analysed and saved) and give examples of how MICASE online output can be
used in the creation of teaching and testing materials. The video and
slides of the presentation we used are both linked from the MICASE index
website at http://lw.lsa.umich.edu/eli/micase/index.htm. The direct link to
the video is http://lw.lsa.umich.edu/eli/lecture/micase/video.html. The
presentation slides are available at http://lw.lsa.umich.edu/eli/micase/Demo.pdf
(the video takes a minute or two to load and appears only in a small window, but
the resolution and sound quality are quite good, and you can look at the slides
alongside if not everything is legible on the screen).

Enjoy!

Best wishes... Ute

Dr. Ute Römer
Director of the Applied Corpus Linguistics Unit
English Language Institute
University of Michigan
Email: uroemer at umich.edu
Phone: +1 734 763 7133