19.1552, Jobs: Comp Ling: Team Leader, European Bioinformatics Institute

Wed May 14 14:35:30 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1552. Wed May 14 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1552, Jobs: Comp Ling: Team Leader, European Bioinformatics Institute

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz <luiza at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-May-2008
From: Christine Kastinger < applications at ebi.ac.uk >
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Team Leader, European Bioinformatics Institute, Hinxton, UK

Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 10:34:25
From: Christine Kastinger [applications at ebi.ac.uk]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1552.html&submissionid=178121&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI)
Department: Literature Service Development
Job Location: Hinxton, near Cambridge, United Kingdom
Web Address: http://www.ebi.ac.uk

Job Rank: Team Leader

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

We are seeking a Team Leader to create a team which will develop and run
our electronic literature services.

The EMBL-EBI is located near Cambridge in the UK, on the Wellcome Trust
Genome Campus. It is a global centre for Molecular Biology Data, hosting
large databases of biomolecular information and offering comprehensive
services over the World Wide Web. It also carries out world-class
bioinformatics research, and offers both academic and hands-on user
training. The EBI services are exploited by hundreds of thousands of users
throughout the world from the academic and commercial research community.

The EBI is already a major player in the electronic provision of scientific
literature and its integration into the biological information
infrastructure. It is a participant in the UK PubMed Central project and
has a thriving group carrying out research in text mining. We plan to
enhance and expand the literature services. The successful candidate will
be responsible for developing the vision for this enhancement and will
appoint and lead staff to implement that vision. The emerging landscape of
open-access publishing and the research context of the EBI create
opportunities for truly novel solutions and exciting research.

Candidates should be expert in the electronic provision and exploitation of
scientific information. They should:
- have the necessary IT knowledge to implement state-of-the-art literature
services in the context of the other biological data resources made
available by the EBI
- be ready to cope with the challenges posed by the exponential growth of
biological databases
- be capable of creating innovative methods to exploit the electronic
literature combined with other data

There currently is a small literature team, and the possibility to make
some immediate appointments. We expect it to grow further in the future,
attracting external funds to expand this important aspect of knowledge
provision, and we expect the appointee to be capable of writing the
necessary external funding applications.

Candidates are likely to be graduates in a computationally rich discipline,
with significant practical post-graduate experience. This experience may
have been gained, for example, in a publishing, scientific or
information-services context.

The EMBL-EBI is an international organisation, providing a stimulating
scientific and technical environment, with research and service activities
led by about twenty enthusiastic and supportive young team leaders.
Computational facilities are provided and supported by a forward-looking
and responsive systems team.

The successful applicant will lead a team and work in collaboration with
other teams within EMBL-EBI and other organisations.

An initial contract of 3 years will be offered to the successful candidate.
This may be renewed, depending on circumstances at the time of review.

EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive
conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation.

To apply, please send a CV, three references (references not names of
referees) and an outline of how you would provide leadership to the group,
by email, quoting ref. no. LL/08/003/EBI in the subject line.

Application Deadline: 22-Jun-2008

Email Address for Applications: applications at ebi.ac.uk
Contact Information:
	Christine Kastinger