19.1619, Jobs: Applied Linguistics: Writer & Editor, Rosetta Stone Ltd.

Wed May 21 14:04:55 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1619. Wed May 21 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1619, Jobs: Applied Linguistics: Writer & Editor, Rosetta Stone Ltd.

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz <luiza at linguistlist.org>

Date: 19-May-2008
From:  Cole < lcole at rosettastone.com >
Subject: Applied Linguistics: Writer & Editor, Rosetta Stone Ltd., Arlington, VA, USA

Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 10:03:32
From:  Cole [lcole at rosettastone.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1619.html&submissionid=178881&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Rosetta Stone Ltd.
Job Location: Virginia, USA
Web Address: http://www.rosettastone.com

Job Rank: Writer & Editor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics

Writer

We are currently seeking a content writer for our language education
software. The ideal candidate will be a strong writer and a creative
problem-solver. The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication
skills, experience in language education or linguistics, and enthusiasm for
emergent technologies. This position involves designing and writing content
in a collaborative environment. Content writers work closely with the
editing, photography, software development, and product management
departments to refine our unique pedagogy. Content writers regularly
consult with language experts from around the world to develop
language-appropriate material.

Minimum Job Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree
- Superior English writing skills
- Excellent analytical skills
- Close attention to detail
- Familiarity with multiple languages and/or background in linguistics
- Interest in evolving technologies
- Thrives in dynamic team environment
- Passion for collaborative creative problem-solving
- Please include resume, cover letter, and two writing samples

Also Desirable:
- Language-teaching experience
- Advanced degrees
- Familiar with product development design processes
- Experience writing for a range of audiences
- Experience in photography, film, or other visual arts
- Familiar with curriculum design
- Experience in intercultural communication and problem-solving

Editor

Multi-genre editor for ground-breaking multimedia software.  The ideal
candidate will possess experience that combines editing, writing,
second-language acquisition, and teaching experience.

Duties and Responsibilities:
- Edit scripts in English or another language known to the candidate.
- Work proficiently in QuickBase, the Wiki, and other internally created
information storage spaces.
- Come up with new ideas relating to script pedagogy and department processes.
- Generate status reports in Word or Excel for use by team members and
others outside the department.
- Contribute in a fast-paced environment and interface with a number of
diverse teams - from writers and photographers to software developers.
- Be a strong team player who is comfortable solving problems and
advocating solutions.

Preferred Skills and/or Education:
- Editing or proofreading experience.
- Speak multiple languages.
* Bachelor's Degree or equivalent.
* Strong Spanish speakers are highly encouraged to apply

Requirements:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines while balancing numerous
projects and in a fast-paced environment.
- Prior editing or proofreading experience.
- Attentive to detail.
- Experience learning to use new forms of software.
- Excellent English writing skills and a lively sense of creativity.
- A diligent self-starter who can work well both individually and with a team.
- Interested in emerging pedagogical trends and ideas.
- College graduate holding a bachelors degree in English or another
language, Journalism, or related field.
- Experience in teaching and/or language curricula desirable.

Rosetta Stone  Ltd. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to
race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age,
disability, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state
or local laws.

Application Deadline: 01-Jul-2008

Email Address for Applications: lcole at rosettastone.com
Contact Information