19.1657, Sum: Bound Copies as Anaphora

Sat May 24 14:38:50 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1657. Sat May 24 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1657, Sum: Bound Copies as Anaphora

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-May-2008
From: Felicia Lee < felicia at ucla.edu >
Subject: Bound Copies as Anaphora

Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 10:36:12
From: Felicia Lee [felicia at ucla.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1657.html&submissionid=178938&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 19.1535

Thanks to all who responded to my query about languages using bound copies
as anaphora:

Youssef Haddad
Brent Henderson
Andrew Nevins
Norval Smith
Nora Wiedenmann

As I suspected, there are not many languages that use copies anaphorically
in unmarked pragmatic contexts. Besides the languages I already knew about
(the Zapotec languages,  Thai, Vietnamese, and Hmong), the only other
language  reported to me that shows this pattern robustly is Malayalam
(which allows bound copies in non-local c-commanding contexts).

I also got reports of  languages such as Telugu that use copies in control
contexts (allowing structures like ''the priest hopes the priest to go'')
but do not use copies in reflexive constructions.

Thanks again to all for your help. And if anyone thinks of any other
languages that may be of interest, do let me know!

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax