19.1661, Confs: Linguistic Theories/UK

Sat May 24 15:39:37 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1661. Sat May 24 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1661, Confs: Linguistic Theories/UK

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Stephanie Morse <morse at linguistlist.org>

Date: 21-May-2008
From: Reiko Vermeulen < r.vermeulen at ucl.ac.uk >
Subject: Workshop on Information Structure

Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 11:37:36
From: Reiko Vermeulen [r.vermeulen at ucl.ac.uk]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1661.html&submissionid=179085&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

Workshop on Information Structure
Short Title: IS Workshop

Date: 13-Sep-2008 - 15-Sep-2008
Location: London, United Kingdom
Contact: Reiko Vermeulen
Contact Email: is-workshop at ling.ucl.ac.uk
Meeting URL: http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/is/

Linguistic Field(s): Linguistic Theories

Meeting Description:

Workshop on Interface-based Approaches to Information Structure
13-15 September 2008
University College London

Invited Speakers:
Daniel Buring (UCLA)
Gisbert Fanselow (University of Potsdam)
Edwin Williams (Princeton)

We are pleased to announce the programme for our workshop. Please check our
website for further details and future updates: http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/is/

Programme

Saturday, September 13:

9-9:30:
Registration and Breakfast

9:30 - 9:45:
Opening Remarks

9:45-10:45:
Daniel Buring (UCLA), Invited Speaker: TBA

10:45-11:15:
Coffee Break

11:15-12:15:
Jieun Kiaer (Oxford) & Ruth Kempson (King's College London) Topic and Focus
phenomena in Korean and Syntax-Processing/Phonology Interface
Commentator: TBA

12:15-1:15:
Stavros Skopeteas (University of Potsdam) & Elisabeth Verhoeven (University of
Bremen)  The content of non-argument positions at the left periphery: Evidence
from Yucatec Maya
Commentator: Artemis Alexiadou (University of Stuttgart)

1:15-2:45:
Lunch

2:45-3:45:
Nancy C. Kula (University of Essex) Post-verbal focus in Bantu: In-situ, IAV and
final focus
Commentator: Malte Zimmermann (University of Potsdam)

3:45-4:45:
Lisa Cheng (Leiden University) and Laura Downing (ZAS) Against FocusP: Arguments
from Zulu
Commentator: Kriszta Szendroi (University College London)

5:00:
Wine Party

Sunday, September 14:

9:30-10:30:
Michael Wagner (Cornell) Focus and Recursion
Commentator: Daniel Buring (UCLA)

10:30-11:
Coffee Break

11-12:
Hyun Kyung Hwang (Cornell) Wh-intonation and Information Structure in South
Kyeongsang Korean, Fukuoka Japanese and Tokyo Japanese
Commentator: Shin Ishihara (University of Potsdam)

12-1:
Dora Alexopoulou (Lille III/Cambridge) Recursive focus and prominence
Commentator: Michael Wagner (Cornell)

1-2:30:
Lunch

2:30-3:30:
Balazs Suranyi (HAS, Budapest) Syntactic configuration and interpretation
Commentator: David Adger (Queen Mary, University of London)

3:30-4:30:
Vieri Samek-Lodovici (University College London) Information Structure in
Italian Clauses
Commentator: Lisa Cheng (Leiden University)

4:30-5:
Coffee Break

5-6:
Gisbert Fanselow (University of Potsdam), Invited Speaker: TBA

7:00:
Conference Dinner

Monday, September 15

10-11:
Artemis Alexiadou and Kirsten Gengel (University of Stuttgart) NP ellipsis
without focus movement/projections: the role of Classifiers
Commentator: Vieri Samek-Lodovici (University College London)

11-12:
Jong-Bok Kim (Kyung-Hee University) and Peter Sells (SOAS) Korean Nominalizer
'kes' and its Information Structure
Commentator: Jieun Kiaer (Oxford)

12-1:30:
Lunch

1:30-2:30:
Edwin Williams (Princeton), Invited Speaker: TBA

2:30-3:
Closing Remarks

Alternates:

Malte Zimmermann (University of Potsdam), Daniel Hole (University of Potsdam),
and Wolfram Schaffar (University of Bonn): Head-Internal Clefts in (South) East
Asian: A cross-linguistic comparison of Burmese, Japanese, and Chinese.

Beste Kamali (Harvard) Phonological Phrasing Meets Scrambling: The Case of Turkish

Further information and future updates, please check our Workshop website:
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/is/

Organising Committee:
Ad Neeleman
Ivona Kucerova