19.3377, FYI: SPLLOC, a New Corpus of Oral L2 Spanish

Wed Nov 5 18:44:43 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-3377. Wed Nov 05 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.3377, FYI: SPLLOC, a New Corpus of Oral L2 Spanish

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Nov-2008
From: Nicole Tracy-Ventura < N.Tracy-Ventura at soton.ac.uk >
Subject: Spanish Learner Language Oral Corpus project (SPLLOC 1), a New Corpus of Oral L2 Spanish

Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 13:42:04
From: Nicole Tracy-Ventura [N.Tracy-Ventura at soton.ac.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-3377.html&submissionid=195608&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

We are happy to inform you of the completion of SPLLOC, a new corpus of
oral L2 Spanish, which has been collected by a team of researchers at the
universities of Southampton, Newcastle, and York in the UK.

The data have been transcribed using CHILDES conventions and are now freely
available in anonymised form through the project website
(www.splloc.soton.ac.uk) and Talkbank (www.talkbank.org) for use in
research and teaching.

The L2 oral Spanish data have been collected from classroom learners in
schools and universities in England, using a series of specially designed
elicitation tasks, including storytelling, picture description, paired
discussion and individual interview. There are 20 learners (L1 English) at
each of 3 levels: beginners (Year 9 students aged 13-14), intermediate (A2
students aged 17-18), and very advanced students (fourth year
undergraduates aged 20-21 majoring in Spanish). Depending on their level,
each learner was audio-recorded undertaking between 3 and 5 oral tasks. A
small number of native speakers was also recorded undertaking the same
tasks. The resulting database contains 290 digital soundfiles (240 learner
recordings--168,776 words, and 50 native speaker recordings--37,238 words),
the corresponding transcripts and XML files. Some files also have an extra
layer of tagging which identifies parts of speech.

We are currently designing new tasks to collect more data to be added to
the database in the following year. This second phase of the project
focuses on the emergence and development of tense and aspect in L2 Spanish.

If you use the corpus for your research, please let us know as we are keen
to learn how this resource is being utilized.  We would also like to
reference any publications and conference presentations arising from this
corpus on our website.
The SPLLOC project is funded by two ESRC research grant awards
(RES-000-23-1609 and RES-062-23-1075).
For any queries please contact Laura Dominguez, Project Director
(ldo at soton.ac.uk) or Nicole Tracy-Ventura, Postdoctoral Research Fellow
(N.Tracy-Ventura at soton.ac.uk).

Please visit http://www.splloc.soton.ac.uk

                     Language Acquisition