19.3050, Jobs: English & Dialectology: Researcher, British Library

Wed Oct 8 16:16:20 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-3050. Wed Oct 08 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.3050, Jobs: English & Dialectology: Researcher, British Library

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 06-Oct-2008
From: British Library < bl-recruitment at bl.uk >
Subject: English & Dialectology: Researcher, British Library, London, UK

Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 12:15:04
From: British Library [bl-recruitment at bl.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-3050.html&submissionid=192748&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: British Library
Department: Social Sciences Collections and Research
Job Location: London, United Kingdom
Web Address: http://www.bl.uk

Job Rank: Researcher

Specialty Areas: Sociolinguistics; Dialectology

Required Language(s): English (eng)

This is a unique opportunity for a suitably qualified researcher in English
dialectology/sociolinguistics to work with an important national collection
at the British Library.

Helping to develop an original template for presenting raw data on regional
speech in the UK, you'll build on our hugely impressive portfolio of
resources and services. Enabling us to carry out a sociolinguistic analysis
of 312 BBC Voices Recordings, you'll also improve accessibility of this
internationally renowned collection to a worldwide audience.

With an understanding of English accents and dialects, you'll be aware of
the significance of BBC Voices Recordings and have experience of analysing
and transcribing speech phonetically. Possessing keen attention to detail,
you'll work well independently and collaboratively with colleagues in the
'Voices of the UK' research team and take ownership of the research strand
of this project. You'll also engage with researchers and stakeholders to
deliver a unique resource that will provide a model for current and future
British Library provision in this area.

For further information, please visit
http://gs10.globalsuccessor.com/fe/tpl_britishlibrary01.asp?newms=jj&id=62128

Application Deadline: 31-Oct-2008