19.3080, FYI: Call for Problem Ideas: 2009 CompLing Olympiad

Sat Oct 11 02:38:19 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-3080. Fri Oct 10 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.3080, FYI: Call for Problem Ideas: 2009 CompLing Olympiad

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 09-Oct-2008
From: Dragomir Radev < radev at umich.edu >
Subject: Call for Problem Ideas: 2009 CompLing Olympiad

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 22:37:10
From: Dragomir Radev [radev at umich.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-3080.html&submissionid=193033&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

The Organizing Committee of NACLO, the North American Computational
Linguistics Olympiad, invites you to become involved in our 2009
contest as a problem writer.

NACLO is a fun (and educational!) contest for U.S. and Canadian
high-school students in which contestants compete to solve compelling
and creative puzzles in linguistics and computational linguistics.
Requiring no previous knowledge of linguistics, languages, or
computing, these puzzles can be solved by analytic reasoning alone,
and serve as a fun introduction to a field to which many high school
students have never been introduced.

The Open Round competition will take place on February 4, 2009 at
universities and high schools across the U.S. and Canada. The winners
proceed to the Invitational Round (to take place on March 11, 2009),
where they try out for a chance to compete in the 2009 International
Linguistics Olympiad, to be held in Poland next summer.

We are specifically looking for problem ideas in general linguistics
(e.g., focusing on morphotactics, grammar, spelling, semantics, etc.),
comparative linguistics (cross-lingual phenomena), and especially
computational linguistics (here the sky is the limit). All problems
should be based on real languages and real language phenomena or
challenges in computational linguistics.

The problems should also be appropriate for our targeted age group
(14-17 year olds).  They should require only logical thinking in order
to be solved.

For further information, please contact the chair of the program
committee, Dragomir Radev at radev at umich.edu

Visit http://www.naclo.cs.cmu.edu for more details such as the rules,
lists of winners from previous years, sample problems, etc.

Last year, we had 65 high school sites as well as 12 university
sites (Columbia, Cornell, U.Penn, U.Michigan, U.Illinois,
U. Wisconsin, Brandeis, SJSU, MTSU, U. Oregon, U. Toronto,
U. Ottawa). We expect a much larger list this year.

If you are interested in organizing a local site in your city, please contact
naclo09org at umich.edu

                     Computational Linguistics
                     Discipline of Linguistics
                     General Linguistics