19.3157, TOC: Leiden Working Papers in Linguistics 5/1 (2008)

Fri Oct 17 20:24:52 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-3157. Fri Oct 17 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.3157, TOC: Leiden Working Papers in Linguistics 5/1 (2008)

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Fatemeh Abdollahi <fatemeh at linguistlist.org>

Date: 16-Oct-2008
From: Jenneke van der Wal < J.van.der.Wal at let.leidenuniv.nl >
Subject: Leiden Working Papers in Linguistics Vol 5, No 1 (2008)

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 16:23:50
From: Jenneke van der Wal [J.van.der.Wal at let.leidenuniv.nl]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-3157.html&submissionid=193765&topicid=11&msgnumber=1

Publisher:	Leiden University Centre for Linguistics
			http://www.lucl.leidenuniv.nl/

Journal Title:  Leiden Working Papers in Linguistics
Volume Number:  5
Issue Number:  1
Issue Date:  2008

Subtitle:  Special Issue T.W.I.S.T. Conference

Main Text:

Link
http://www.hum.leiden.edu/lucl/research/lwpl/lwpl_51.jsp

Preface from the editors
On 13 April 2007 T.W.I.S.T., the study society for general and comparative
(Indo-European) linguistics of Leiden University, organized its first national
student conference on linguistics in honour of its five-year anniversary. Since
then, organizing a student conference has already become a tradition: the second
student conference took place in May 2008.

The present proceedings mirror the diversity in linguistic disciplines that
characterized the conference and are typical for T.W.I.S.T. in general. There
were presentations on theoretical linguistics as well as applied linguistics and
the number of historical papers equalled the amount of synchronic work.

Three of the papers given on the conference made it into this special issue of
the Leiden Working Papers in Linguistics. Martine Bruil wrote a paper on the
origins of the Ecuadorian Spanish construction dar + gerund, in which she argued
that although it was commonly assumed that this construction was a calque of the
indigenous language Quichua, there are good structural arguments why this
explanation is too simple. She shows that this case of language contact induced
change as well as some closely related changes were influenced by both
languages, although they did not contribute in the same way.

Marieke Hoetjes showed how gestures can be used to test whether representations
of placement events are language dependent. This can be done, because in various
languages we find different degrees of specialization in the verbs used for put
and place events. The use of these verbs can be compared to the form of the hand
gestures made. An especially interesting case is the gestures of people speaking
a second language, which does not have the same specialization of verbs for put
and place events as their mother tongue.

Daphne Theijssen, finally, employed syntax for the purpose of automatically
classifying why-questions according to their answer type (cause or motivation)
with the help of automatically derived syntactic information.

We found the conference very inspiring and we hope that this new tradition will
enable many generations to come to present their research for both Masters
theses and PhD dissertations.

Editors
This special issue of LWPL was edited by Elizabeth Koier, Olivia Loonen, and
Marieke Meelen.

Table of Contents

Martine Bruil, Give + gerund in Ecuadorian Spanish. A calque from Quichua or a
large process of contact induced change?, Leiden Working Papers in Linguistics
5.1, 1-23.

Marieke Hoetjes, The use of gestures in placement events, Leiden Working Papers
in Linguistics 5.1, 24-35.

Daphne Theijssen, Automatically classifying why-questions with the help of
syntax, Leiden Working Papers in Linguistics 5.1, 36-52.

                     Syntax