19.3207, Qs: Phonetic Modification: Human-Machine Dialogue

Wed Oct 22 15:15:43 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-3207. Wed Oct 22 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.3207, Qs: Phonetic Modification: Human-Machine Dialogue

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 22-Oct-2008
From: Ekaterina Snugina < katjas85 at mail.ru >

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:14:20
From: Ekaterina Snugina [katjas85 at mail.ru]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-3207.html&submissionid=194367&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear Linguists,

I am a member of a team which is doing research on machine-human
communication for use in IVR systems. In developing our system, we have
faced several problems concerning the effectiveness of communication
between a person and an electronic ''voice''.

The first problem is a psycholinguistic one. How to make the machine to
carry on an effective dialog (the lexical, phonosemantic, stylistic etc.
components of the effective human-computer dialog)?

The second problem is  the way the voice volume influences phonetic
processes (for example, phonetic modifications while whispering or shouting).

Does anyone know of any research on this problem? I did not manage to find
anything very useful on the web, and since we are in Russia it is difficult
to get contemporary linguistic literature from libraries. I will be very
grateful for any information.

Best regards,
Ekaterina Snugina

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     Phonetics
                     Psycholinguistics