19.3209, Qs: 1SG Reflexives in English

Wed Oct 22 16:51:51 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-3209. Wed Oct 22 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.3209, Qs: 1SG Reflexives in English

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 21-Oct-2008
From: Chris Collins < cc116 at nyu.edu >
Subject: 1SG Reflexives in English

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 12:50:10
From: Chris Collins [cc116 at nyu.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-3209.html&submissionid=194284&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

The present authors are interested in finding native English speakers of a
dialect which accepts examples like (1-4):

(1) The present author (= the speaker or writer) considers myself competent
in that area.

(2) Yours truly found myself surrounded by an angry mob.

(3) Daddy is enjoying myself in the tropics.

(4) This reporter set myself the task of covering the elections.

We would ask that anyone who speaks such a dialect and is kind enough to
inform us of this fact to provide information about national, local, geographic
details of his/her dialect and where they learned to speak it.

We will summarize the responses to this query and post them to
the LinguistList.

Chris Collins (NYU)
Paul Postal (NYU)

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics