19.3254, Disc: New: Review of 'Lesbian Discourses'

Tue Oct 28 02:11:01 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-3254. Mon Oct 27 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.3254, Disc: New: Review of 'Lesbian Discourses'

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 25-Oct-2008
From: Veronika Koller < v.koller at lancs.ac.uk >
Subject: New: Review of 'Lesbian Discourses'

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 22:09:03
From: Veronika Koller [v.koller at lancs.ac.uk]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-3254.html&submissionid=194705&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

Discuss this message: http://linguistlist.org/pubs/reviews/get-review.cfm?subid=194626

Read Review: http://linguistlist.org/issues/19/19-3230.html

Dear Debaprasad Bandyopadhyay,

I have read your review of my book Lesbian Discourses that was published on
The LINGUIST List as item 19.3230.

One point I understood from your review was that the framework of the
production, distribution and reception of discourses should be extended by
looking at their appropriation and approximation. The point is well taken
and I will seek to integrate it into future work. The point on the
Hallidayan definition of anti-languages is also valid. On the other hand,
the observation that 'lesbians are generally unwilling to self-reflect' is
not corroborated by previous or current work on lesbian language - some of
which I reference in the book - and could well be (mis)understood as an
insult.

There are other things you mention, like the division into decades, the
problematic nature of which I have acknowledged in the book, or the fact
that I do discuss the differences and relations between sex and gender - in
fact that is the central point of the first analysis in chapter 4. However,
it is not my aim to take up individual points of your review. From what I
understand you seem to largely like the book, and in any case, I am
grateful that you took the time to read and review it.

Best regards,
Veronika Koller

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Sociolinguistics