19.2739, Qs: Syntactic Changes in Late Modern English Fiction

Tue Sep 9 18:52:39 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2739. Tue Sep 09 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2739, Qs: Syntactic Changes in Late Modern English Fiction

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 08-Sep-2008
From: Cristiano Broccias < c.broccias at unige.it >

Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 14:51:09
From: Cristiano Broccias [c.broccias at unige.it]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2739.html&submissionid=189439&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear Linguists,

Can you point us to any work on changes - if any - in narrative style in
English fiction writing in the Late Modern English Period (from
approximately the 17th century onwards)? Although we are currently focusing
on British English, information on either British or American English would
be useful.

We are especially interested in changes which are reflected in syntax (e.g.
word order, sentence length, coordination vs. subordination, etc.). We are
aware of Biber and collaborators' work on historical shifts in styles in
spoken and written registers, but as far as we can tell this does not give
much specific information on changes in narrative style in fiction.

We will post a summary if we receive any answers.

Many thanks.

Cristiano Broccias (c.broccias at unige.it)
Nick Smith (N.Smith at salford.ac.uk)

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics
                     Ling & Literature
                     Syntax