19.2785, Disc: Review 'Chomsky's Minimalism'

Sat Sep 13 00:34:02 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2785. Fri Sep 12 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2785, Disc: Review 'Chomsky's Minimalism'

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 11-Sep-2008
From: Jim Fidelholtz < fidelholtz at gmail.com >
Subject: Review 'Chomsky's Minimalism'

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 20:32:34
From: Jim Fidelholtz [fidelholtz at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2785.html&submissionid=189947&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

Discuss this message: http://linguistlist.org/pubs/reviews/get-review.cfm?subid=55999

While I agree with Hinzen's comments (19.2754), there seems to me to be a
more fundamental confusion in the post he comments on, shared by many
non-generativists (and occasionally some generativists), namely that the
order of elements/processes/whatever in the *theory* necessarily
corresponds with the order of the cognitive *processes* involved in the
production/reception of language. This has never been claimed, to my
knowledge, by generativists working in the Chomskyan mold, much less by
Chomsky himself. Quite explicitly the contrary. And indeed,
psycholinguistic experiments have clearly shown that language-hearing
processing, for example, goes on in parallel at different 'levels', and as
more and more of a sentence, say, comes in.

Linguistic Field(s): Linguistic Theories
                     Syntax