19.2846, Confs: Cognitive Science/USA

Thu Sep 18 16:28:55 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2846. Thu Sep 18 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2846, Confs: Cognitive Science/USA

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Stephanie Morse <morse at linguistlist.org>

Date: 15-Sep-2008
From: Daniel Swingley < swingley at psych.upenn.edu >
Subject: Society for Language Development Annual Symposium

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 12:25:30
From: Daniel Swingley [swingley at psych.upenn.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2846.html&submissionid=190368&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

Society for Language Development Annual Symposium
Short Title: SLD symposium 2008

Date: 30-Oct-2008 - 30-Oct-2008
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Contact: Daniel Swingley
Contact Email: swingley at psych.upenn.edu
Meeting URL: http://www.bcs.rochester.edu/sld/symposium.html

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science

Meeting Description:

Society for Language Development's Annual Symposium:

Slow Mapping, Fast Mapping: Children's Word Learning 30 Years After Carey &
Bartlett (1978)

Thursday October 30, 2008, 1:00 - 5:00
Boston University, George Sherman Student Union

This symposium is held as a part of the 33rd Boston University Conference on
Language Development (BUCLD)
http://www.bu.edu/linguistics/APPLIED/BUCLD/

Announcing the Society for Language Development's Annual Symposium:

Slow Mapping, Fast Mapping:
Children's Word Learning 30 Years After Carey & Bartlett (1978)
Thursday October 30, 2008, 1:00 - 5:00
Boston University, George Sherman Student Union

Susan Carey, Harvard University:
Beyond Fast Mapping: The role of lexical placeholders in conceptual change

Linda Smith, Indiana University:
>From Slow to Fast: How broad and partial learning about words and referents may
be a first step to rapid and targeted learning

Susan Gelman, University of Michigan:
Fast Mapping Entails Slow Mapping: Using words to refer to kinds

Since the publication of Carey and Bartlett's landmark 1978 study of word
learning, ''fast mapping'' has been at the center of psychological research and
theorizing on how children learn words. Yet, as Carey and Bartlett pointed out
in their original study, fast mapping is not the end of word  learning; it may
provide ''only a small fraction'' of the full meaning of a word.  This slow or
extended mapping process has received much less attention in the word learning
literature. Now, three decades after 1978, the Society for Language Development
has invited Susan Carey, Linda Smith, and Susan Gelman to reflect on fast
mapping and slow mapping, and offer their perspectives on the state of the art.
 The symposium includes their talks, discussion, and an informal reception.
Please join us!

Pre-register at:
http://www.bu.edu/linguistics/APPLIED/BUCLD/prereg.htm

SLD home page: