19.2910, Diss: Comp Ling: Varga: 'Semantic Classification of Hungarian ...'

Thu Sep 25 14:41:06 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2910. Thu Sep 25 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2910, Diss: Comp Ling: Varga: 'Semantic Classification of Hungarian ...'

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Evelyn Richter <evelyn at linguistlist.org>

Date: 25-Sep-2008
From: Lidia Varga < lvarga at voila.fr >
Subject: Semantic Classification of Hungarian Predicates of Motion for Natural Language Processing

Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:39:45
From: Lidia Varga [lvarga at voila.fr]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2910.html&submissionid=191625&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: Université Paris 13
Program: Sciences du langages
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2007

Author: Lidia Varga

Dissertation Title: Semantic Classification of Hungarian Predicates of Motion
for Natural Language Processing

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics

Subject Language(s): Hungarian (hun)

Dissertation Director(s):
Gaston Gross

Dissertation Abstract:

The aim of this study is to propose a typology of predicates of motion in
Hungarian. The typology reflects a simple objective perception of motion
and space. The analysis uses the theory of object classes, which we applied
to Hungarian. The predicates of motion correspond to verb predicates, noun
predicates and to predicate adjectives. Our classification is based on
semantic properties such as directionality, mood, destination, goal, place
and the aspectual properties. These semantic properties are completed by
morpho-syntactic properties needed for natural language processing.

The contrastive component of our study has made it possible to propose a
better description of the classes of predicates in Hungarian and to bring
out the morpho-syntactic and combinatory differences specific to both
languages in the expression of motion, such as the role of verb prefixes,
locative complements, and to underline the importance of noun predicates.