19.2938, Jobs: English & Comp Ling: Computational Linguist, Hapax LLC

Sat Sep 27 21:45:38 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2938. Sat Sep 27 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2938, Jobs: English & Comp Ling: Computational Linguist, Hapax LLC

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 27-Sep-2008
From: Michael Petit < mike.petit at hapax.com >
Subject: English & Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Hapax LLC, Annapolis, MD, USA

Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 17:44:08
From: Michael Petit [mike.petit at hapax.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2938.html&submissionid=191886&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Hapax LLC
Department: Development
Job Location: Maryland, USA
Web Address: http://www.hapax.com

Job Rank: Computational Linguist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Natural Language Processing

Required Language(s): English (eng)

If you hold a Masters in Computational Linguistics and would like to join a
leader in Natural Language Processing, we'd like to meet you. Hapax holds
numerous patents in NLP and will imminently launch Amplify, a revolutionary
web service that brings human understanding to any English-language,
textual web content. Designed as an open, high-volume platform, Amplify
will change the way the world uses web content.

This product was created by our talented team of linguists and developers,
based in both Sweden and the United States and supported by first-rate
professors of Computational Linguistics and Sociolinguistics. We will now
expand that team, to take Amplify into new territory. This is a unique and
challenging opportunity for the computational linguist who would like to
see NLP out of the lab and into the mainstream of the commercial web.

Our company is established (founded 1999), commercially proven, and very
well-funded. We think of ourselves as an established company with a
start-up attitude: we wake up every day psyched, and every day we tackle
new and challenging tasks. If you have the credentials, the energy, the
creativity and the desire to be part of a highly motivated,
absolutely-for-profit enterprise in the NLP space, Hapax merits your
consideration. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, a fun and
casual working environment and the real prospect of being part of something
very big.

Our US office is located in beautiful Annapolis, Maryland, on the
Chesapeake Bay and close to Washington DC and Baltimore. As the State
Capital, the home of the US Naval Academy, and a world-famous yachting
community, Annapolis is rich in history, culture and fun things to do. The
quality of life here is very high, and the cost of living is reasonable.

Candidates should hold a Masters Degree in CL, be willing to relocate
themselves to Maryland, and be ready to hit the ground running. Some
background in Computer Science is required; programming and scripting
skills are a real plus. Only candidates with current, permanent and legal
working status in the United States will be considered. Given the nature of
what we do, complete fluency in English is a basic requirement.

Resumes by email only, please. We look forward to getting to know you.

Best,

Michael T. Petit
Chief Information Officer

Email Address for Applications: mike.petit at hapax.com