20.1608, Diss: Historical Ling/Phonology: Kuchenbrandt: 'Prosodische Aspekte...'

Mon Apr 27 14:47:39 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-1608. Mon Apr 27 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.1608, Diss: Historical Ling/Phonology: Kuchenbrandt: 'Prosodische Aspekte...'

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Nick Prokup <nick at linguistlist.org>

Date: 24-Apr-2009
From: Imme Kuchenbrandt < imme at kuchenbrandt.de >
Subject: Prosodische Aspekte in der Entwicklung der spanischen und französischen Klitika

Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:45:03
From: Imme Kuchenbrandt [imme at kuchenbrandt.de]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-1608.html&submissionid=214948&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: Universität Hamburg
Program: Department of Languages, Literature and Media
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2009

Author: Imme Kuchenbrandt

Dissertation Title: Prosodische Aspekte in der Entwicklung der spanischen und
französischen Klitika

Dissertation URL:  http://www.sub.uni-hamburg.de/opus/volltexte/2009/4070/

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics
                     Linguistic Theories
                     Phonology

Subject Language(s): Old French (fro)
                     Old Spanish (osp)

Dissertation Director(s):
Christoph Gabriel
Conxita Lleó

Dissertation Abstract:

Clitic pronouns have received much attention during the past decades. Their
prosodic and phonological characteristics are often used as their
identifying properties, which serve as a motivation for their special
linguistic behaviour. This holds for the clitic pro­nouns in Old Romance,
too. They are subject to the so-called Tobler-Mussafia Law (TML), which
prohibits their occurrence in sentence-initial position. This special
posi­tioning is traditionally motiva­ted through the assumption that these
clitics are inherently enclitic (Enclisis Theory, Meyer-Lübke 1897, a.o.).
Even recent publications adopt this view without questioning its
implica­tions for current phonological frameworks. The present
investigation focuses on the domains of phonology and prosody, but it
integrates morphological, syntactic and semantic insights, as well. The
aims of the study are two-fold. First, we investigate the properties of
several clitic types and interpret them in the light of cur­rent linguistic
models. It is shown that the 'special' behaviour of clitics results from
their independently assumed properties. This means that a class of clitics,
different from words and from affixes, is neither needed nor theoretically
motivated. Second, we investigate the proper­ties and the positioning of
clitic object pro­nouns in Old Spanish and Old French prose texts from the
late 13th century. Although Old Spanish clitic pronouns are subject to the
Tobler-Mussafia Law, they may occur within structures where a phonological
binding to the left is impossible. We therefore reject the Enclisis Theory
as a motivation for the TML. The Old French object clitics do not undergo
the Tobler-Mussafia Law any longer. Like the Old Spanish clitics, they do
not show a constant phonological binding. For both languages, object
clitics are best analysed as functional heads (X°) from the 13th century
on; this entails that the Tobler-Mussafia Law does not depend on the
phrasal status (XP) of the clitic pronouns.