20.4108, FYI: New MA: Social Interaction and Culture, Syracuse Uni

Tue Dec 1 20:00:33 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-4108. Tue Dec 01 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.4108, FYI: New MA: Social Interaction and Culture, Syracuse Uni

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Danielle St. Jean <danielle at linguistlist.org>

Date: 30-Nov-2009
From: Cynthia Gordon < cyngordon at aol.com >

Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:59:11
From: Cynthia Gordon [cyngordon at aol.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-4108.html&submissionid=2229494&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Announcing a new area for Master's Degree study: Social Interaction and Culture

We are seeking applicants to this new area of our M.A. program. Graduate
assistantships are available.

Syracuse University's Department of Communication & Rhetorical Studies
announces a new area of focus within our Master's program: Social
Interaction and Culture. This area is comprised of a group of faculty who
share a common interest in taking a constitutive view of communication and
culture. We examine how social interaction creates, maintains, or changes
meanings, relationships, identities, and institutions.

Social Interaction and Culture focuses primarily on qualitative methods and
methodologies, such as: critical discourse analysis, discursive
constructionism, conversation analysis, ethnography of communication, and
narrative analysis. We are interested in the practical usefulness of
research for addressing societal issues and problems.

Areas of interest include: intercultural communication, interpersonal
communication, family communication, gender and communication, health
communication, political communication, environmental communication,
argumentation, legal communication, and practical theory.

Students in our program will develop competence in perspectives and
methodologies such as social constructionism, discourse analysis, the
coordinated management of meaning, ethnography of communication, and
related approaches. Past students have worked with faculty on research
projects and have jointly-authored journal articles, book chapters, and
conference papers.

The following courses have been offered in recent years:

Intercultural Communication (CRS 630)
Interpersonal Communication (CRS 531)
Family Communication (CRS 532)
Communication and Community (CRS 535)
Communication, Power, and Gender (CRS 614)
Language and Meaning (CRS 514)
Legal Communication (546)
Advanced Argumentation (545)
Environmental Communication (CRS 660)
Proseminar in Social Communication (CRS 601)
Qualitative Communication Research Methods (CRS 604)

Faculty with Expertise in Social Interaction and Culture
- Richard Buttny (Ph.D., Communication, Massachusetts) - discursive
constructionism, intercultural, environmental communication
- Craig Dudczak (Ph.D., Communication, Kansas) - argumentation, legal
communication, political communication, persuasion
- Cynthia Gordon (Ph.D., Linguistics, Georgetown) - discourse analysis,
family communication, health communication, intercultural communication
- Kenneth Johnson (Ph.D., Communication, Massachusetts) - interpersonal
communication, family and cultural communication

The Master's degree in Communication and Rhetorical Studies includes areas
of emphasis in Critical/Cosmopolitan Studies, Rhetorical Theory and
Criticism as well as in Social Interaction and Culture. Students in our
program gain a broad overview of each of these three areas before selecting
courses tailored to their own unique area of study.

Students can take courses in related programs, such as: Anthropology,
Sociology, Environmental Communication, Education, Conflict Resolution, and
Public Communications.

There is a rolling deadline for applying but we begin accepting
applications on February 15, 2010. Apply through the Syracuse University
website.

Contact with questions:  Richard Buttny (rbuttny at syr.edu) or Cynthia Gordon
(cygordon at syr.edu)

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis