20.4328, Support: Basque, Spanish & Psycholing: PhD Student, U. of Basque Country

Wed Dec 16 00:05:17 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-4328. Tue Dec 15 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.4328, Support: Basque, Spanish & Psycholing: PhD Student, U. of Basque Country

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 15-Dec-2009
From: Itziar Laka < itziar.laka at ehu.es >
Subject: Basque, Spanish & Psycholinguistics, Syntax: PhD Student, University Of The Basque Country, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 19:03:12
From: Itziar Laka [itziar.laka at ehu.es]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-4328.html&submissionid=2231654&topicid=12&msgnumber=1

Institution/Organization: University Of The Basque Country
Department: Linguistics and Basque Studies
Web Address: http://www.elebilab.com

Level: PhD

Duties: Research,Project Work

Specialty Areas: Psycholinguistics; Syntax
Bilingualism
Required Language(s): Basque (eus)
                      Spanish (spa)

Predoctoral Grant on syntactic processing

We are happy to announce a Predoctoral felloship financed by the Ministerio de
Ciencia e Innovación (Spain) to work on a PhD project in the area of
language/syntactic processing and bilingualism. The grant lasts for three years,
working at the University of the Basque Country in the "Bilingual Mind" research
group, within a research project that intends to bridge theoretical linguistics
and experimental approaches to the study of language.

The fundamental question we aim to address is how syntactically distinct
languages are processed in the brain. We intend to discriminate between
language-universal and -specific aspects of language processing and thereby
narrow the gap between linguistic and cognitive neuroscientific approaches to
language. Event-related brain potentials (ERPs) are useful in this endeavor, as
they reveal millisecond-by-millisecond changes in neural activity during
language processing. Specifically, we want to explore the impact of language
variation (syntactic parameters) in language representation and processing. We
intend to study how specific aspects of Basque syntax (particularly those that
are parametrically different from Spanish syntax) are processed by native versus
nonnative bilingual speakers. Our working hypothesis is that the
structural-computational component of grammar can reveal age effects, provided
the parametric settings of the native and nonnative language vary. This is why
we propose to study Basque-Spanish and Spanish-Basque bilinguals, of differing
ages of acquisition, targeting specific linguistic phenomena that have been
independently argued to constitute good candidates of syntactic parameters: the
head-parameter, ergativity-accusativity, types of agreement (verbal and NPI
licensing), and the syntax of relative clauses (attachment and subject/object
advantage) among others.

Salary: Standard predoctoral fellowship

Desired Education Level: MA

Other Desired Qualifications: MA in linguistics or psycholinguistics preferred
but not required

Application Deadline: 15-Jan-2010

Web Address for Applications: http://www.elebilab.com/public_home/ctrl_home.php

Contact Information: