20.4375, Support: General Linguistics: PhD Student, U. of Texas at Arlington, USA

Fri Dec 18 18:38:39 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-4375. Fri Dec 18 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.4375, Support: General Linguistics: PhD Student, U. of Texas at Arlington, USA

Eric Raimy, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Joseph Salmons, U of Wisconsin-Madison
Anja Wanner, U of Wisconsin-Madison

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 16-Dec-2009
From: Drew Burks < ling.advisor at uta.edu >
Subject: General Linguistics: PhD Student, The University of Texas at Arlington, USA

Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:36:53
From: Drew Burks [ling.advisor at uta.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-4375.html&submissionid=2231774&topicid=12&msgnumber=1

Institution/Organization: The University of Texas at Arlington
Department: Linguistics & TESOL
Web Address: http://ling.uta.edu

Level: PhD

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

The Department of Linguistics has a limited number of graduate teaching and
research assistantships available for new applicants to our doctoral program
(starting their study in Fall 2010). Additional funding is also available, such
as the Graduate Dean's Doctoral Fellowship and the Dissertation Completion
Fellowship.

Our Department of Linguistics & TESOL offers a vibrant and engaging environment
in which to pursue doctoral studies. Our faculty have won numerous awards for
their teaching and research. The Department would be an excellent place to
pursue any of these areas of study within linguistics:
-Phonetics and Phonology
-Syntax, Semantics and Pragmatics
-Language documentation and fieldwork Languages of Asia and the Americas
-Corpus Linguistics
-Second Language Acquisition Theory

Our faculty is growing, with two new professors to be hired this year in the
areas of language documentation and syntax and also in second language
acquisition. Facilities include a departmental Linguistics Lab and a new Speech
Sounds Lab. Resources for student research include department-owned corpora of
written and spoken language, software for concordancing, phonetic analysis,
audio editing, and statistical analysis, as well as a soundproof booth for
recording, additional computers for running experiments and data analysis, and
an ultrasound for phonetics research.

For more information on admissions material, see
http://ling.uta.edu/prospective-students/

Our doctoral program has a fall-only admissions cycle. Applicants must submit
the following to the Graduate School (http://grad.uta.edu/):
-Online application
-Application fee
-Official transcripts from all schools previously attended
-TOEFL or IELTS scores, including speaking scores (international applicants)

The following materials should be sent directly to the Department:
-Three academic letters of recommendation by people who can attest to your
ability to do graduate work on the doctoral level.
-Statement of academic plans relating to doctoral studies in linguistics
-GRE scores (Verbal, Quantitative and Analytical Writing).
-An academic writing sample (e.g. a research paper) of 20 pages or less.

Application Deadline: 30-Jan-2010

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Attn: Graduate Advisor
	Department of Linguistics & TESOL