20.346, Sum: Linger Does Work in Korean too!

Tue Feb 3 14:19:00 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-346. Tue Feb 03 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.346, Sum: Linger Does Work in Korean too!

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 03-Feb-2009
From: Lucy Kyoungsook Kim < lucykimmy at gmail.com >
Subject: Linger Does Work in Korean too!

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 09:18:05
From: Lucy Kyoungsook Kim [lucykimmy at gmail.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-346.html&submissionid=204368&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 20.195

I posted a query asking if anyone knew how to set Linger (Self-paced
reading, Rohde, 2001), so it runs in Korean. I received one response from
kind Andrew Kong (Thanks to you!). The messages is as follows.

*CJK (Chinese, Japanese and Korean) are often grouped together by computer
scientists/engineers, as they involve the use of double-bytes characters
(cf. English with its use of ASCII characters only), so they could often be
treated similarly (i.e. the chance is Linger *should* work for Korean as
well).

*The problem is usually with the ''encoding'' (and/or ''decoding'') of the
double-byte characters (which can be done in WORD).

*You should experiment with a small Korean file by adapting what is for
Chinese (''encoding'' & ''font'') on this page to what is for Korean
instead (Being a ''Kim'', you are probably a Korean speaker/writer, then
you should know or you could find the corresponding info for KOR from WORD)
and see if it works first.

With a number of attempts to modify the preference file in the program,
David Li (at USC in LA), finally made it work. The encoding needed to be
put in for Korean was ''euc-kr''. There are other small details to be taken
care of. If anyone needs assistant, I'll be happy to help.

kyoungsk at usc.edu (or lucykimmy at gmail.com)

Thank you.

Linguistic Field(s): Psycholinguistics