20.347, Sum: Results of Survey on Proper Name Substitutions

Tue Feb 3 16:38:03 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-347. Tue Feb 03 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.347, Sum: Results of Survey on Proper Name Substitutions

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 31-Jan-2009
From: Zenzi Griffin < griffinz at psy.utexas.edu >

Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 11:36:49
From: Zenzi Griffin [griffinz at psy.utexas.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-347.html&submissionid=204066&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 18.2303

Dear linguists,

In August 2007, I posted a request on LL for participants in a survey
(http://linguistlist.org/issues/18/18-2303.html) to examine the factors
that contribute to being called by the wrong name. Thanks to all of you who
responded and your patience in awaiting the results. I reported results in
a conference presentation at the annual meeting of the American Name
Society in January 2009 and Cleveland Evans in the Omaha World Herald
discusses these in a recent column:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1219&u_sid=10548215

The results also appeared in a poster presented last July:
Griffin, Z. M., & Wangerman, T. (2008, July). 'Lisa, Patty, Selma, Snowball
... Maggie!' Names that parents call their children by mistake. Poster
presented at the Fifth International Workshop on Language Production,
Annapolis, MD.

Posted at:
http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/homepage/faculty/Griffin/Publications_files/griffin_wangerman2008.gif

The initial findings have raised many additional questions and I plan on
conducting a follow up survey. I'll post a notice here again when I do.

Thanks again,
Zenzi Griffin

Linguistic Field(s): Psycholinguistics