20.428, FYI: John Swales Conference Corpus transcripts available online

Tue Feb 10 20:12:39 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-428. Tue Feb 10 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.428, FYI: John Swales Conference Corpus transcripts available online

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 09-Feb-2009
From: Ute Römer < uroemer at umich.edu >

Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 15:11:18
From: Ute Römer [uroemer at umich.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-428.html&submissionid=204974&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Dear all,

The John Swales Conference Corpus (JSCC) is now freely available for
download from http://jscc.elicorpora.info/download (click on the ''Download
the corpus'' button).

The corpus contains the transcribed proceedings (presentations and Q&A
sessions) of a conference that took place at the University of Michigan,
Ann Arbor in June 2006 to celebrate the official retirement of Professor
John Swales. It is the first publically available corpus of its kind.

I would like to thank a number of people who were involved in the
compilation of the JSCC:

- Begoña Bellés-Fortuño, Inmaculada Fortanet-Gómez and Christine A.
Räisänen for video-taping the conference presentations that comprise the JSCC,

- Universitat Jaume I in Castellón, Spain, for providing part of the
funding for the transcription of the JSCC recordings,

- Stephen DiDomenico, Caitlin Gdowski, Reese Havlatka, Kristen Keller, and
Mercedes Querol-Julián and other researchers from GRAPE (Group for Research
on Academic and Professional English, Universitat Jaume I, Castellón,
Spain) for creating the transcripts,

- former and present ELI Corpus Linguistics post-doctoral research fellows
Stefanie Wulff and Matthew Brook O'Donnell, and ELI Corpus Linguistics
research assistants Miranda Kozman and Jesse Sielaff for checking the
transcripts against the audio files and for doing the XML encoding and
validation,

and, of course, John Swales for supporting the project at all stages!

A first journal article (by Stefanie Wulff, John Swales and Kristen Keller)
based on the JSCC will be published in the next issue of /English for
Specific Purposes/ and I look forward to seeing more studies that explore
the language of the JSCC presentations and Q&A sessions! I would appreciate
it if you let me know (or email elicorpora at umich.edu) about any
presentations or publications that make use of the corpus.

With thanks and best wishes,
Ute

Dr. Ute Römer
Director of the Applied Corpus Linguistics Unit
English Language Institute
University of Michigan
Email: uroemer at umich.edu
Phone: +1 734 763 7133