20.506, Diss: Anthro Ling: Nuraini: 'La ngue et production de r écits d'une ...'

Tue Feb 17 17:25:13 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-506. Tue Feb 17 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.506, Diss: Anthro Ling: Nuraini: 'Langue et production de récits d'une ...'

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Evelyn Richter <evelyn at linguistlist.org>

Date: 16-Feb-2009
From: Chandra Nuraini < cnuraini at univ-lr.fr >
Subject: Langue et production de récits d'une communauté bajo des îles Kangean, Indonésie/Language and Oral Literature of a Bajo Community of the Kangean Islands (Indonesia)

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:18:02
From: Chandra Nuraini [cnuraini at univ-lr.fr]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-506.html&submissionid=205827&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: University of La Rochelle
Program: Anthropological linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2008

Author: Chandra Nuraini

Dissertation Title: Langue et production de récits d'une communauté bajo des
îles Kangean, Indonésie/Language and Oral Literature of a
Bajo Community of the Kangean Islands (Indonesia)

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics

Subject Language(s): Bajau, Indonesian (bdl)

Language Family(ies): Sama-Bajaw

Dissertation Director(s):
Aone van Engelenhoven
Charles Illouz
Christian Pelras
Nicole Revel
Hein Steinhauer

Dissertation Abstract:

The Sama-Bajau languages are Austronesian languages spoken by a diaspora of
small communities scattered on some shores of the Southern Philippines,
Sabah (Malaysia) and many islands of the eastern part of Indonesia. Our
research field is the tiny Kangean archipelago, regency of Sumenep,
province of East-Java, Indonesia.

We describe the Kangean archipelago Bajo language, dealing successively
with its phonology, lexicology and morphosyntax. The chapter devoted to
lexicology comprises elements of diachrony, comparison with other
Sama-Bajau languages, and treats of the derivational formations;
additionally, a Bajo-Indonesian-French glossary is annexed. The main
morphosyntactic feature is the diathesis (voice system). There is an
ergative-absolutive opposition, yet bounded to the personal pronouns
paradigms. The Kangean Bajo has no prototypic word order, VSO is equivalent
to SVO, hence a strong argument for considering it as a symmetrical voices
language.

The oral literature of the Bajo consists mainly of long epic songs, called
iko-iko. We transcribed and translated five iko-iko to Indonesian and
French, a work that demanded several years. This oral literature genre,
also called ikiko or kata-kata, has been studied in the Philippines, but
not yet in Indonesia.

We attempt to define the iko-iko genre in its ethnological and cultural
aspects. We describe the social circumstances of the performance of an
iko-iko nowadays in Kangean. We match the scarce historical sources to the
content of these epics. On the literary side of this study, we expose the
common narrative structure of the iko-iko and the typical characters.
Beside the song and the prosody, the beauty of the epics comes through
metaphors, narrative motives as well as vestiges of typically Austronesian
parallel compositions.

This dissertation is also aimed at salvaging for the future generations of
Bajo people a remnant of the iko-iko genre, which is like elsewhere
threatened by modernity.