20.23, FYI: Call for abstracts on Teaching Innovation in Asia

Tue Jan 6 00:55:38 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-23. Mon Jan 05 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.23, FYI: Call for abstracts on Teaching Innovation in Asia

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 21-Dec-2008
From: Theron Muller < theron at theronmuller.com >

Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 19:53:52
From: Theron Muller [theron at theronmuller.com]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-23.html&submissionid=200426&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

The objective of this volume is to gather the voices of
teachers/researchers based in Asia to help define what makes the Asian
experience unique, and how that experience can help to inform English
Language Teaching (ELT) theory, practice, and methodology.

The English as a Foreign Language (EFL) context, including Asia, has tended
to be defined by outsiders looking in. From Hofstede's (1991) research into
cultural differences, and Kachru's (1992) depiction of different circles of
language influence, to leading ELT theories and methodologies such as those
associated with task-based learning (TBL), ideas about the EFL context are
generally disseminated from Inner Circle countries outward.

Yet there are a number of dedicated and professional teachers/researchers
based in Asia who are likely better placed to help define the Asian EFL
experience: how its needs are different from English as a Second Language
(ESL) contexts and therefore uniquely EFL. However, those voices have been
intermittent in their representation in the literature, with occasional
articles in internationally refereed journals or scattered chapters in
books hidden among the many voices from Inner Circle countries.

As co-editors, we are calling for abstracts that deal with research both
based in the Asian context, and about the Asian context; research that
helps to inform and interpret theory and practice in our context. We are
interested in articles which deal with some of the following issues:

1. Establishing the context: Papers which define or explain the Asian
context, or facets of it.
2. Innovating practice: Papers which describe and explore how Asian-based
practitioners drive methodological innovation.
3. Innovating theory: Papers which describe and explore how Asian-based
practitioners interpret and reinterpret ELT theory to fit their regional or
local contexts.
4. Other topics related to teaching English in Asia that don't necessarily
fit easily into the above three categories.

Some subtopics that could be appropriate include: motivation, learner
autonomy, 4-skills, Extensive Reading, learning strategies, Extensive
Writing, learner identity, input/output hypothesis, vocabulary acquisition,
consciousness raising, washback, functional grammar, task-based learning
and classroom discourse analysis.

This is a proposed volume, and after receiving abstracts we will screen in
appropriate proposals, then invite the short-listed contributors to send
their full papers. After receiving the full papers, we will send the
proposal package to a major publisher for consideration. While we've had
some expression of interest from a publisher, the volume must go through
the regular vetting cycle, and so there is no guarantee that the volume
will be published. That being said, we are quite confident that a volume of
this nature would be a significant and needed contribution to the field.

If you are interested in contributing to this proposed volume, please send
your abstracts of up to 500 words to researchingasia at eltresearch.com by
February 28th, 2009. Abstract authors will be notified of acceptance or
rejection of their abstracts by March 31st, 2009, and contributors will be
asked to send their complete articles by November 30th, 2009. We intend to
submit the proposal to publishers by December 31st, 2009, for hopeful
publication in 2010.

Abstracts should be up to 500 words in length, and should include
information about the specific, local context being explored, and how
observations from that context could potentially inform other
teacher/researchers in similar contexts.

Again, we hope to define and explain what it means to teach English in
Asia, and to disseminate our collective understanding of our contexts to
the rest of the ELT community. We hope this volume will help to inform
teacher education and practice in Asia for some time to come.

Thanks for your time and consideration. We are looking forward to receiving
your abstracts and/or expressions of interest.

Please feel free to forward this call to potentially interested colleagues,
or to post it to appropriate mailing lists.

All the best,
Theron Muller <theron at theronmuller.com>
Noah Learning Center

Steven Herder <steven.herder at gmail.com>