20.196, Qs: Inventory of Syllables in American English

Thu Jan 22 01:04:33 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-196. Wed Jan 21 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.196, Qs: Inventory of Syllables in American English

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 21-Jan-2009
From: Doron Modan < esperanto at 013.net >
Subject: Inventory of Syllables in American English

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 20:03:05
From: Doron Modan [esperanto at 013.net]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-196.html&submissionid=202846&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Hi,

Does anybody know of a comprehensive list/inventory of all syllables in
American English, on the Web or any other source?

The syllables list should be in normal English Orthography, but should
reflect Phonetics, not Morphology.

For example, the word syllable should yield the syllables:
-sy
-lla
-ble

and 'accessible' should yield
cce
ssi
ble

I've been searching the Internet, but all I found was articles about it,
not the list I hoped to find.

I need this kind of list for a research I am doing for a company I'm
employed in (for a Text-To-Speech engine).

Thank you very much for your help!!
Doron

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics