20.2028, Media: Human Language Gene Changes How Mice Squeak

Mon Jun 1 16:05:17 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-2028. Mon Jun 01 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.2028, Media: Human Language Gene Changes How Mice Squeak

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 01-Jun-2009
From: Dave Sayers < dave.sayers at cantab.net >
Subject: Human Language Gene Changes How Mice Squeak

Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 12:03:10
From: Dave Sayers [dave.sayers at cantab.net]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-2028.html&submissionid=219168&topicid=21&msgnumber=1

View the full article here:
http://science.slashdot.org/story/09/05/30/0327219/Human-Language-Gene-Changes-How-Mice-Squeak?art_pos=1

Researchers at the Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology in
Leipzig, Germany have engineered a mouse whose FOXP2 gene has been swapped
out for a different (human) version. This is interesting because the gene
is implicated in human language, and this has changed how mice squeak. 'In
a region of the brain called the basal ganglia, known in people to be
involved in language, the humanized mice grew nerve cells that had a more
complex structure. Baby mice utter ultrasonic whistles when removed from
their mothers. The humanized baby mice, when isolated, made whistles that
had a slightly lower pitch, among other differences, Dr. Enard says. Dr.
Enard argues that putting significant human genes into mice is the only
feasible way of exploring the essential differences between people and
chimps, our closest living relatives.' The academic paper was published in
Cell.

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                     Language Acquisition
                     Neurolinguistics