20.2193, Support: Modified: Yucatec&Mayan & Field-based Psycholing: Open Student...

Tue Jun 16 16:47:27 UTC 2009

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-2193. Tue Jun 16 2009. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 20.2193, Support: Modified: Yucatec&Mayan & Field-based Psycholing: Open Student...

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Erin Smith <erin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 15-Jun-2009
From: Florian Jaeger < fjaeger at bcs.rochester.edu >
Subject: Modified: Yucatec&Mayan & Field-based Psycholinguistics: Open Student, University of Rochester, New York, USA

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 12:44:50
From: Florian Jaeger [fjaeger at bcs.rochester.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-2193.html&submissionid=220807&topicid=12&msgnumber=1

Institution/Organization: University of Rochester
Department: Brain and Cognitive Sciences, Linguistics

Level: Open

Duties: Research,Project Work

Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; Psycholinguistics; Syntax
Fieldwork
Required Language(s): Maya, Yucatán (yua)

                      Mayan

This support is a modified issue. See the original issue here:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/20/20-1810.html

Post-doc/graduate student in field-based psycholinguistics

Florian Jaeger, Brain and Cognitive Science, University of Rochester
Jürgen Bohnemeyer, Linguistics, University of Buffalo

We are looking for a graduate student or post-doctoral researcher who is
interested in conducting psycholinguistic studies on Yucatec Maya (and possibly
additional psycholinguistically understudied languages). We have received two
years of NSF funding for a project on language production in Yucatec Maya,
starting this Fall (Fall 2009), ending Fall 2011. The researcher would help with
the analysis of already existing pilot data and on the basis of this design and
carry out a series of studies in the field in collaborations with the PIs.

The ideal candidate would have:

    * solid background in syntactic theory
    * familiarity with the structure of Mayan languages
    * knowledge of Yucatec Maya or willingness to learn it (and possibly other
field languages)
    * interest in language processing research
    * expertise in collecting and analyzing linguistic and language processing data
    * the ability to work under field conditions and willingness to do so

What we provide: The researcher will receive training in psycholinguistic theory
and psycholinguistic and field work methodologies. He or she will participate in
the academic communities at both the Center for Language Science at Rochester
(with a strong focus on language processing, http://www.bcs.rochester.edu/cls/)
and the Department of Linguistics at Buffalo (with a strong focus on linguistic
typology and field linguistics), thereby further strengthening the collaboration
between the two institutions. The researcher would be primarily situated at the
Human Language Processing Lab, Brain and Cognitive Science department,
University of Rochester (http://www.hlp.rochester.edu/), with access to all
resources of that lab, but also collaborate closely with Jürgen Bohnemeyer, who
will provide further training in field methods and Yucatec Maya (Linguistics
Department, University of Buffalo). We have already established contacts with
field sites in Mexico (including a university campus, where we have run some of
our pilot studies).

Where to apply: Please send applications (detailed CV and a statement of
interest, 2-3 references that we might elicit letters from) to
hlplab-yucatec at bcs.rochester.edu. For questions, please feel free to contact
Florian Jaeger at hlplab-yucatec at bcs.rochester.edu.

Application Deadline: 22-Jun-2009

Web Address for Applications: http://www.hlp.rochester.edu/jobs/fieldwork.html